Import sprite strip freeze

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
Minimal Sprite Font with Stroke for Pixel Art games.
  • Problem Description

Trying to import a sprite strip while having the selection icon active, causes instant hanging. Does not happen with the other tools selected.

Happens on empty project as well, so i figured i didn't need a capx.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Open an empty project.
    • Create a sprite object.
    • Choose the marque selection tool, and right click the animation frames pane >import frames > from sprite strip. Select a file and open.

Observed Result

Program hangs indefinitely.

Expected Result

Sprite strip wizard should appear.

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 7 64bit

Construct 2 Version ID

r178

• Following your instructions, I don't get the crash you describe. I also tried by selecting other image tools before attempting import but still didn't crash.

Are the steps you describe complete?

Using same 64bit OS and C2 version.

• Following your instructions, I don't get the crash you describe. I also tried by selecting other image tools before attempting import but still didn't crash.

Are the steps you describe complete?

Using same 64bit OS and C2 version.

I checked again and it still happens. This is what i exactly did.

1. Create a new empty project.

2. Right click, and choose "Insert new object". Choose sprite and click on the canvas.

3. With the object opened, click on the "Rectangle Select".

4. In the animations frames pan, right click and choose "import frames" > "from spritstrip". Select a file and open.

It should hang after. It does it to me all the time. Hmm

• That's exactly the steps I tried and tried again. Definitely no crash for me.

Maybe someone else can try (guys!).

• Can't reproduce, works here. Closing, please provide all necessary information in your bug report for us to exactly reproduce what you are doing, including the image file you are choosing when you import the sprite strip.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • same issue here thanks this helped me at least work around the issue for now

• I can't *intentionally* reproduce this bug as it seems to happen entirely at random, but has often happened in the past, and is happening on my current project all the time as I'm making heavy use of the sprite-sheet importer. Ashley : I've found this bug reported several times now, and always dismissed because it could not be reproduced - when it has in fact been reproduced by many users. Could it please be investigated?

I'm jamming at present and manually slicing up all my sprite-sheets is really cramping my time-frames - but it's necessary as it takes less time than the 'force close ten times in a row restart and cross my fingers for attempt 11' importing method. I know a fix won't come by the jam end or anything but it'd be nice to have this problem looked at before the next one!

• It's almost impossible to investigate bugs without reliable steps to reproduce. That is the #1 thing to work out if you want a bug to be fixed.

• Ashley & zenox98

I can reproduce this as well. I think this issue is somehow caused by the file itself and the way that Construct 2 checks its validity.

This is however not really a traditional "App-hang" but more Construct 2 locking you out, probably caused by an error during the importing process.

Here is a reliable way to reproduce this issue (on my end):

• Open an empty project.
    • Create a sprite object.
    • Choose the rectangle selection tool* > right click the animation frames pane > import frames > from sprite strip.
    • Select an image to import
    • Notice that you cannot click anywhere, however pressing escape still works (unnecessary mouse locking code?)

*This step is very important! I highly recommend to re-select the tool if it was already selected. For some reason this also seems to be a part of the reproduction process.

• I can further confirm that the rectangle selection tool might actually be at fault in this case.

For some reason I've also noticed that parts of the right-click dialog get greyed out when the rectangle tool is selected (they still work though).

Rectangle selected:

Other selected:

• My only grumble here is that the freeze happens so often when the marquee tool isn't selected - but I have now at least learnt that the marquee tool pretty much guarantees it. Thanks guys

• This is a closed bug report, please file a new issue with full details and following all the guidelines.

• Yeah I always forget that...

Here it is: teleport me now!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)