Important thing that must be in consideration

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:22 pm

Personnaly (and I think I am not the only one in that case), I am always willing to help people out, but even wit my experience I cannot just tell what is wrong in every case, it demands time to awnser questions (like to figure out what the person did, what he wanted to do, and even a capx makes this difficult in some cases, which is why I prefer explanations rather that people giving a capx but that is my personal opinion, and how to do it in a way that is efficient yet can be understood easily by the one who asked, which is not easy since most people are learning to use the tool and so will not be as familiar as us with some things).

There are a lot of people helping right here, but there are also a lot of questions out there, which implies that sometimes we don t notice it right away too
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:41 pm

I've been here almost 7 years and feel things have changed somewhat, I think they call it "signal to noise ratio" which is a result of a sudden large influx of new users, with the majority of questions asked now fitting into one of three categories.

1. People who ask a question that has already been asked before but can't be bothered to search.
2. People who ask a question that is covered in the manual which they haven't bothered to read.
3. People who want you to code their game for them.

A special category is reserved for people who want to know how to add inapt purchases to their crappy bird clones.

If i'm stuck and have tried numerous ways to make it work, first i search the manual, then the forums with various different wordings. Then i'll search the MMF forums because a lot of the time the code is so similar it can be converted. Then i'll check the internet, if it's a maths question, and finally i'll post here.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:04 pm

i was always helped when i asked questions, and i always tried to help myself when i was in the knowhow
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:26 pm

I find the questions and help requests that get "ignored" are the ones that have been asked within the last week or questions that come up so often that even the simplest search would fine.

I have seen on a few occasions where the same question was in fact on the first page. There is a certain point where if an individual can't be bothered to do simple research. However as many point out this is an active forum. Research is a programmers best friend is a big chunk. If a question is that simple that there is no research done... well...
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:55 pm

Naji wrote:I think that it is outrages to see unanswered questions in The forum

I kind of agree with that.

But also, in my experience, and as already mentioned in this thread, most of those questions just happen to be questions already answered or basic stuff that can be found with a little bit of search/read through the manual/tutorials/already existing threads.
Also most questions don't interest me anymore since I already answered them thousands of time, even if with another formulation.

Some other questions also happens to just be so poorly formulated that it's hard to even understand what is being asked and it shows directly that the basics of C2 are not understood by the person.
And still in my experience, when I don't have the time for it, I don't want to kick in the bees nest and ask for clarifications because then, those people asking questions feel entitled that I shall give them an answer/provide a capx/babysit them until they are as at ease with C2 as I am. They'll try to send me PMs, or emails for the most basic stuff that going through tuts and manual shall teach them.
I personally can't handle/guide every new comer like that.
Also, believe it or not, when I started using C2, there wasn't the sixteenth of all the documentation available now. If you can't show me that you've made the basic search, I'm not always willing to put you on the correct track either.
If you don't do the minimum, why should I ?

That is something that is known in internet communities. The influx of newcomers, asking for the same set of already answered questions. And the "experts" (I'll dare consider myself one) just becoming tired of always answering those questions, especially when we've spent the last years already doing so.

In my opinion, Scirra's forums are still welcoming and providing support.
Some of the people who got helped years ago are now helping back with efficient support.
Maybe someday, you'll do as well Naji.

Nevertheless, I'm also wondering where this reflexion is coming from seeing that all threads you've been posting that I've seen, has been answered in one way another.
Maybe you're thinking about other posts you've seen. If so, I then invite you to try to provide an answer to those post.

"Pro-tip": I've learnt a lot about C2 by trying to provide solutions to posts on the forums, and that's how most of my capx were made. And doing so, I learnt and practice a great deal on the way. You can do so as well !

But yeah, be aware that "experts" are most likely to have to be interested in the question (it should be challenging, and not just because of a lack of knowledge of the person asking) and to have the time to investigate. And not all questions require "experts" either, far from it.

Also, one has to consider the human factor. Sometime, when working on my own projects, I don't want to be bothered with other people's "problems". And I think it's quite natural.
The community's purpose is not to be here to serve you (general "you" here).
If you think that because you ask a question the community HAS to answer you, there is a misconception already here.
If I remember correctly in Buddhist philosophy a saying goes : "If one asks a question, one's not yet ready for the answer".
Think about it ;)
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:48 pm

Kyatric wrote:"If one asks a question, one's not yet ready for the answer".

Why not ?

(sorry I couldn't resist :) )
August 2015 - I misplaced a lot of links - I will try to find backups and repost. If You find a post that interests please reply to post with @rampackwobble and I will get a nudge!

If you find my posts useful please consider donating something to a local charity or to the http://www.mndassociation.org/
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:45 pm

I try to hold my tongue most of the time, but wow OP, you've got a bad attitude!

There is an endless supply of information on these forums. People go out of their way to give help in the best way they can, but sometimes (as has been mentioned in this thread a few times), it just get a bit much: people asking the same old questions because they are too lazy to do a search for the answers. So many people come along and want to be spoon-fed, they don't want "help", and that kind of approach does very little to inspire assistance.

Between the existing knowledge-base, the tutorials and the manual, I'd guess that 95% of questions asked here every day have already been resolved. People simply don't look for those answers, and most of the time the people of that sort are just here to make a quick buck by flooding mobile stores with second-rate clones. It's infuriating to say the least.

I admin another forum but find myself on these forums far more often, because it's such an engaging and helpful community. For OP to come along and claim otherwise is actually pretty insulting.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:15 pm

Geo has it right, Scirra has a helpful and friendly community.
I am a member of a few other forums, and they are mostly filled with trolls and flamers.

I myself have been guilty of asking questions that are in the documentation, but what makes this forum great, is that rather than insult you and discourage, the members will often give an answer. Even if that answer is just "Try using the 'Dictionary' object type." That is enough to point a person in the right direction.

Also it is a forum, which means that the questions might sit for some time and may not ever be answered.
That is just the nature of how forums work.

There is a good article to read here that has more about that:
http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/articles/common-missteps-of-newcomers-to-the-construct-2-gamedev-community--gamedev-1997
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:15 am

Hey guys, sorry for this bad attitude, I guess I have over-reacted about my last post asking help, :lol: In my turn I always try to help beginners when I know the answers. So please don't get sad from me.
ImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General