Improving Performance in Auto Runner

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:04 am

I just checked within the layout by using text & setting it to display fps.I get 30+ which playable. If I made a few more tweaks I might be able to get to stay 40+
B
S

Post » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:59 am

[QUOTE=EyezWidee]Do you happen to know why the fps changes between Inspect , Watch , Profile (While in Debug mode) ?
If I had to guess Inspecting requires checking all conditions every tick.[/QUOTE]
I suspect that you are right. The system does have to do a lot more in order to show all those debugging values. So, the most accurate/important is how it runs for the user. In some of my games, I like to create a keyboard event to toggle showing FPS. I think it is a good practice when developing games.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:16 pm

Wow! Just stumbled upon this post, and have to say thanks @danialgoodwin! I was thinking of how to increase the framerates and decrease collision checks of my game and this sounds like the perfect thing to try! Huhu can't wait to test it out!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:13 pm

Makes sense, so its pretty safe to say that I got from 18 fps to 35+ with your help. It runs way smoother now, gotta admit this was a tough obstacle for me so I thank you again @DanialGoodwin and wish you the best of success with your games.
B
S

Post » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:24 pm

[QUOTE=danialgoodwin] In some of my games, I like to create a keyboard event to toggle showing FPS. I think it is a good practice when developing games.[/QUOTE]

IE 11 has the FPS view and CPU usage build in :)

CTRL + SHIFT + U

Perhaps not the best browser to test in, but if you have a web app/game that should be compatible with IE, IEs option has majorly advanced and this will give a good ndication.

This way your app will show a more precise FPS on actual running apps .... for IE at least haha. (ofc results will differ comparing to other browsers)

It also has the option to test repsonse time of user interface options through the web dev console. Also profiling options.

Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:52 am

[QUOTE=lennaert]IE 11 has the FPS view and CPU usage build in :)

CTRL + SHIFT + U[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know about that. Recently, I've mainly been building for Windows 8 and Window Phone, so it should be handy. =]

I'm glad I could help others too. ;)danialgoodwin2014-02-01 00:52:29
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General