Improving upon the Performance!

Bugs will be moved here once resolved.

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:06 pm

Collision cells are a *huge* performance optimisation that make some games so much faster they go from unplayable to 60 FPS. It is well worth working around the minor edge cases where it can be slower.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:07 pm

I can vouch for this, my performance increased by over 10 fold. I was having over 80,000 collision checks on some layouts, now those layouts are under 8,000 collision checks. HUGE Difference!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:40 pm

@Ashley

I agree that the potential for collision cells optimization could turn Construct 2 into the most powerful coding engine around, and I agree that it is quite worth optimizing, and I would submit that providing an on/off toggle would greatly accelerate your development towards that end. In fact, the benefits for you, us, and the entire Construct 2 engine itself would be worth providing it alone...You see, as users experiment with turning the switch on and off, they would soon realize not only how collision cells are better, but if there ever were a rare circumstance that turning them on made it worse, then they would wonder why...they will then easily report it to you, they will figure out exactly what is causing the worse performance and it could then be fixed for the next build!!! I strongly believe that for the development of Construct 2's performance, it would majorly benefit you and the Construct 2 User-Base as a whole to place an on/off toggle so that the real problems will be rooted out, and so the real benefits may be seen first hand and so players will agreeably/without exception, stop asking for it here on the forums!!! :].

Please consider doing this as this will:

1. Root out all of the performance problems as comparisons take place,
2. Stop all Petitioning for it on all of these forums, and
3. Make C-2 better in every way as you have more tools and feedback to use to improve the Performance - making little adjustments here and there where needed!!! :].

You're the Best Ashley!!! :]

Let's make Construct 2 the Best Engine Around!!! :D.

B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:04 am

@Ashley

Even for just one experimental build...Have everyone check their performance with it on and with it off, if everyone has better performance with it on then case closed. But if there are issues then we can fix them! -

Thank you Ashley. :)
STARTECHSTUDIOS2014-02-19 00:21:00
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:27 am

@STARTECHSTUDIOS - I currently have no evidence (.capx examples) that collision cells reduce performance. I see no reason to create an option unless you show me this kind of evidence. We already added switches for the two behaviors which sometimes need it.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:35 am

It's difficult and time consuming to produce multiple .capx examples to single out all the exact causes of worse performance, that's why opening it up to the community would provide a great benefit to users, myself, and surely yourself as well.

I cannot reconcile the fact that my framerates are still lower and sometimes still get choppier performance even after turning off all of those switches that were provided before... -

I thought that would fix it, but for me it didn't.

It would seriously put the entire issue at ease to provide the global on/off toggle not only for me, but for many others I'm sure at the same time. -

And it would certainly allow me to keep on going with your Excellent Construct 2 software!! :)
STARTECHSTUDIOS2014-02-19 00:59:13
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:51 am

It surely won't hurt anyone to include it, by nature it can only benefit users by giving them the option, as simple as "on/off."
@Ashley :)-

P.S. - I might not be able to reproduce a .capx to show each of the problems inherent with collision cells, but with a toggle switch I think I would be able to catch any differences much easier/more quickly and help correct them in a beneficial and constructive way :)
STARTECHSTUDIOS2014-02-19 03:33:44
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:04 am

@STARTECHSTUDIOS - my best theory why you can't make a .capx showing collision cells are slower is because they're not slower! Alternatively maybe you're mistaking the latest version of Chrome's software rendered WebGL as a performance drop caused by collision cells, when it is unrelated.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:48 pm

@Ashley

Haha, maybe, with the new update we shall see... --
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Closed bugs