In 2 Months I've Made $27,271 From HTML5 Games

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:45 am

I just wonder who would pay 10K to publish the games you got on your portfolio page.
...but this is mostly psychological.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:49 am

[QUOTE=sved] I just wonder who would pay 10K to publish the games you got on your portfolio page.[/QUOTE]

Major companies and web portals. One company, Spil Games, is investing $5,000,000 in HTML5 games in 2014. There's a lot of money going around, and since there aren't a lot of highly polished HTML5 games, even the simple ones fetch high prices.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:40 pm

[QUOTE=True Valhalla]

Major companies and web portals. One company, Spil Games, is investing $5,000,000 in HTML5 games in 2014. There's a lot of money going around, and since there aren't a lot of highly polished HTML5 games, even the simple ones fetch high prices.[/QUOTE]

My dream is to do what you've accomplished. The last few weeks I've been reading your blog, your book, and checking out your games. It's good to hear that it's still possible to claim a piece of the pie! My goal for the next few months is practice, practice, and more practice on creating fun, simple games with high polish. I'm sure you have plenty of fans already, but you can count me as a +1.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:55 pm

That's sweet, do you use a program like construct 2 (drag and drop) or actual coding with your games? And do you code your websites or do you use a program with drag and drop. I want to learn html and coding things. I already have learned a lot with RobotC in school and I know a bit of C++, and I think this kind of a job would be amazing!
B
S

Post » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:54 pm

@MathandScience he uses a tool like Construct 2 called Game Maker Studio. I think it does have scripting possibilities, but technically so does C2 with its Javascript plugins and behaviors (so they are very close in terms of development style).
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:43 pm

Nyctelios, and MathandScience, please read the following very carefully.

Your dreams of being independent game developers are realistic, and this is a great time to begin. I also wish you both the best of luck, but, and there is always a but, there are a few things you must be careful about.

True Valhalla's primary income, from what I can see, is selling his less than 40 page eBook for $20. His online income report is unrealistic at best, and is likely used to generate interest for his book.

He has shown no proof of income, or any of his so-called publishers, and it is highly unlikely anyone is paying him money for his incredibly simplistic games, so please be very careful.

Good luck to the both of you,
Steve

stevefromio2014-01-11 17:46:26
Banned User
B
S

Post » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:01 pm

@stevefromio - there's no evidence he's lying either. Spilgames announced on their website that they are, in fact, putting $5,000,000 towards html5 gaming this year. If you look at the games on the site, some of them are very, very simple. For example: http://m.gamesgames.com/html5games/en_US/Mad+Cab/?dst=A0022

It's a new market, and one with a good demand - web gaming for mobiles. There's a bazillion devices, but since there's very little content that exists, portals are willing to pay a premium to get whatever they can. This is very similar to what happened with flash web games, if I recall correctly, as well as places like the iOS App Store. It's a gold rush and easy money when a new untapped market is discovered. It likely won't last long, as where there's money, people will rush to get it, budgets will escalate, quality will improve, and expectations will rise, making it a lot harder to compete in that market.Arima2014-01-11 21:03:33
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:12 pm

With all due respect, it would be wiser to assume his claims to be false without hard facts. Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Steve
stevefromio2014-01-11 23:18:55
Banned User
B
S

Post » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:48 pm

The title of this thread surely reads like the handywork of a spambot. Not a good first impression in any case. But nevermind that...

Having just recently started to try monetize HTML5 games myself, I find the numbers presented by True Valhalla hard to swallow. I can't claim to be an expert in the field, but there's a beautiful thing called common sense.

Sponsorships that make some good money would usually be exclusive, so you'd only be able to do that once per game. Unless you constantly create multiple new games a month and get them all sponsorships, it doesn't add up. And if the rest of the money is supposed to come from non-exclusive licensing, well, you really would need to sell a whole lot of licenses every month, because you don't get the same kind of money you would get from a sponsorship.

Randomly dropping the name of a company that just invested in HTML5 games doesn't really inspire confidence either. Sure companies are investing in HTML5 content, which in reality rather leads to (sometimes questionable) opportunities like recently from FGL where you can get a whole 200$ for letting them have your game distributed on three major platforms/markets.

Companies investing doesn't mean they will shower you with money because they have lost their mind, they're looking to make money.

If True Valhalla would actually like to help out and "inspire" the community, why not drop the names and links of the companies that are willing to buy licenses and do sponsorships for really good money. That could help out a struggling developer.

The only conclusion I can make is that he is only really interested in advertizing his book and maybe himself a little too. I do not mind being proven wrong, but I do have to side with stevefromio and a few others here. PixelRebirth2014-01-11 23:58:39
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:37 am

I admit he does come off sometimes as spammy. However, I think the wiser course of action is to not assume he's telling the truth or lying, but to acknowledge both possibilities and look to other sources to help validate or invalidate his claims, as if he IS telling the truth, it would potentially be quite a missed opportunity for some to assume it's a lie. For example, reading about your experiences does make me doubt his a bit more - but you said you've only started recently, so maybe since he's been doing it longer than you he's just got more experience and found better connections. I dunno. I don't have enough information.

However, as I mentioned, I've heard about flash games being quite easy and lucrative in the past, before word got out there was money there and that gold rush began. Same with the iOS App Store - the early games made a lot of money not necessarily because they were fantastic, but rather there was an audience starved for content. There's an utterly gargantuan possible market here - how many mobile devices are out there? And many people often play both free web flash games on desktop and mobile game apps as time wasters while waiting for something, so maybe companies are competing to try to become a big player quickly in a market that basically combines the two. These facts and speculation don't necessarily mean another gold rush is happening here, but because of them it seems possible. It also tells me it's not likely viable as a long term strategy, as gold rushes don't last long.

The point: scams happen. This might or might not be one. As in many places, it's best to try to get multiple sources before believing or disbelieving a claim of this sort.Arima2014-01-12 00:51:54
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic