In 2 Months I've Made $27,271 From HTML5 Games

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:44 am

Well it is spam seeing as how this is his third or fourth thread for it.
But beyond that wasn't his whole deal he would provide proof if asked?
If not, then welcome to the internet, buyer beware, hope ya dont get some class action lawsuit.... blah, blah, blah.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:30 am

Well it is the open topic so spam or not, don't think it is a big issue, as long as he does not try to use this to sell his book (which I think he kind of does I must admit, that is how I feel anyway, but again who I am to know.)

Anyway, if he done it, very well, I've got the book a long ago, nothing much of my interest unfortunnetelly, seemed mostly like common sense to me, but for others it could be useful.

as for money making and HTML5, I'll try in the future, but even if it is only 1/12 of what he has done, I could consider it worth it.

this $27,271 is too good to be true IMO, except if the number of games is big of course.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:56 am

@Everyone,

I've been publishing income reports for 20 months. Every single one is accurate, from the worst to the best, every month is reported truthfully and transparently.

My book has made around $9,000 in the year it's been out. That equates to about 12% of my annual income. Anyone who would spend this much time and effort creating a "scam" for only $9000 probably deserves the money, because no one would do that. If you wanted to scam people online, I'm sure there are a lot easier ways to do it.

I understand the skepticism, and honestly it doesn't matter if some people don't believe me. I don't need to prove anything, and if I did I wouldn't even know how to do it. You want a copy of my bank statements? Access to my PayPal account? A list of all my clients? None of that is going to happen for obvious reasons.

My book is not even close to my primary source of income, and the only place in this topic where it's even mentioned is in my signature, and from everyone else talking about it. While I'm glad to talk about my book privately with anyone who is interested, that is not the purpose of this topic. It's ironic that people come into this topic saying I'm spamming my book when they're the only ones bringing it up.

Finally, I'm used to being dismissed by skeptics and defenders of the internet (a link to a blog? must be spam!), but I'll keep sharing my income reports and experiences for the sake of the people who do appreciate it. And this thread demonstrates that at least a few such people exist.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:11 am

[QUOTE=True Valhalla]Finally, I'm used to being dismissed by skeptics and defenders of the internet (a link to a blog? must be spam!), but I'll keep sharing my income reports and experiences for the sake of the people who do appreciate it. And this thread demonstrates that at least a few such people exist.[/QUOTE]

People who do appreciate those know you publish them on your blog monthly and can suscribe to it.
I don't feel there is a need to create a new topic every month for that.

Maybe it's a question of culture, in France we have a long history of "shame" toward money earnings/talks, but such threads with a blatant "I made X amount of cash" are not really motivating to me but yells "Come at me I'm an African Prince needing help".
But Arima is right, we shouldn't judge without any kind of proof.
I'm just stating I'd appreciate if you'd let it "private" as well to the people who feel interested on the subject, and once again, those can follow your blog.

Apparently there are also more people expressing their doubts rather than their support, and it's also a proportion you should carefully take into consideration.

I'm also wondering what happened to the "in-depth" post you promised more than a year ago when "joining" C2 community.
As far as I can tell, it's nowhere to be found on your blog, but I see the "give away" contest happened, in exchange for subscriptions/traffic on your blog/twitter/etc...
This kinda of reinforce the impression of "shady practice" that a lot of us "sceptics" have been expressing in this topic.

And your only answer is pretty much "believe in me I owe you no explanations".
Understand that it's pretty hard to swallow on our part and isn't really engaging and allowing any kind of trust to happen.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:38 am

@Kyatric

tl;dr

he copied most popular game types and - propably - found some operators/advertisers, willing to change all graphics etc. and release some apps under their name. From this perspective (and $ads budgets$) this $$$ is quite possible... but it's less about making HTML5 games and more about doing deals
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:38 am

[QUOTE=Kyatric]People who do appreciate those know you publish them on your blog monthly and can suscribe to it.
I don't feel there is a need to create a new topic every month for that.[/QUOTE]

I guess you've never heard of content discovery? You have to put something in front of people before they can take an interest. And I don't make a new topic every month, stop exaggerating. Or, you know, read the thread title.

[QUOTE=Kyatric]
Maybe it's a question of culture, in France we have a long history of "shame" toward money earnings/talks[/QUOTE]

Money is a taboo globally. I've never liked that. Talking about money openly helps people make more of it. If I'd never posted my income reports, there are plenty of people who wouldn't even know that this was a profitable field.

[QUOTE=Kyatric]Apparently there are also more people expressing their doubts rather than their support[/QUOTE]

What's the saying, "vocal minority"? And yes, you are in the minority, I assure you.

[QUOTE=Kyatric]I'm also wondering what happened to the "in-depth" post you promised more than a year ago when "joining" C2 community.

As far as I can tell, it's nowhere to be found on your blog, but I see the "give away" contest happened[/QUOTE]

Firstly, I didn't "promise" anything. I offhandedly mentioned I was writing a post about Construct.

I had some issues with this as I'm not familiar enough with Construct to talk as an authority figure, and after discussing it with Tom I decided to just host a Construct and GM giveaway with over $1000 in free stuff.

[QUOTE=Kyatric]And your only answer is pretty much "believe in me I owe you no explanations".[/QUOTE]

Hmm, if that's all you're seeing I don't know why I'm taking the time to reply to you. Feel free to pick one line from this post and fixate on it again. That'll make for an engaging discussion.

[QUOTE=Kyatric]Understand that it's pretty hard to swallow on our part and isn't really engaging and allowing any kind of trust to happen.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, it's not even that hard to believe. There are so many people world wide making money from game development. Just because you don't hear about them or actively seek them out (because clearly you'd rather maintain the money taboo), it doesn't mean they don't exist.

I'm not an exception, I haven't gotten filthy rich off a hit game, and I have no reason to make this stuff up. I've just grinded away like thousands of others do.

And it's really that simple.

As much as I'd love to further explain myself to you, I'm on holiday as of today and would rather relax than argue with strangers on the internet. I hope this post has addressed your concerns.True Valhalla2014-01-12 09:40:30
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:39 am

Not at all.
Good holidays nevertheless.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:37 pm

I would love to discuss the business and income aspects of indie game development, especially as it relates to HTML5, but my first thread on "Time vs. Income Experiences" didn't gather any interest.

What I assume is most people on this site don't plan on selling games. I think making video games is a great hobby, and something more people should consider.

If you are planning on making games for a living, and think your games will sell themselves, I can understand how a site about making $10k+ a month renting HTML5 games can seem realistic.

Steve
stevefromio2014-01-12 19:39:28
Banned User
B
S

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:35 pm

[QUOTE=stevefromio] I would love to discuss the business and income aspects of indie game development, especially as it relates to HTML5
[/QUOTE]

I'd be glad to discuss this with you. I've had to learn a lot over the past 2 years.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:44 pm

Sure,

How did you find your publishers, or how did your publishers find you?

Did you have inside contacts working as a moderator with YoYo games before you got fired?

Also, could you list one or two of your publishers so I can contact them? Surely you wouldn't mind as they probably use a lot of HTML5 developers besides you?

Thanks,
Stevestevefromio2014-01-12 23:45:43
Banned User
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic