In the Grey | Dev Log

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:09 pm

Here's a little gif of a level select transition. Gonna do a couple of new levels tomorrow and arrange the "chapters" of the game. Most of my work will be on Wednesday and Thursday as I only really have tomorrow morning to do stuff before then.

Enjoy!

B
S

Post » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:21 pm

btw, my 6 year old played this and loved it... his favorite was the last level where you do all the simultaneous jumping... definitely do more of that early on.. introduce the mechanic slow and let people really play with controlling both chars at once..

referencing that Miyamato video.. where he says something like: we want Mario to be big, that's where it's fun.. we back track from there.. how do we get Mario big? and that's how you figure out your "pacing".

So I think some of your levels are really challenging early on. Where that last level my 6 year old could do easily.. even if he failed, it was so fun he wanted to try again. Whereas some of the other early levels were confusing and if he wasn't an avid gamer would have given up.

maybe do early levels where the chars are on the same side.. then slowly as the difficulty increases separate the two...(like in the first few levels)
Last edited by jobel on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:49 pm

@jobel That is awesome! Say thanks to your son for me! I will definitely work on the early levels to get a better scale of difficulty. Thanks a lot jobel, you've been a great help for me. I really appreciate it.
B
S

Post » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:53 pm

Today was a good day, was able to do more work since my plans fell through this morning. I arranged my first 6 levels to be "Chapter 1". I got rid of the turrets and anti grav for them. I made a new level for chapter 2 which introduces the anti-grav and there will probably be 6 levels that get harder with anti grav. Chapter 3 will probably have enemies of different types, listed on my to do list on page 1.

Here's some stuff for your eyes!

Level 1 of Chapter 2:

More transition gifs:
B
S

Post » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:14 pm

So today was great! I finished "Chapter 2", which introduces the anti-gravity and is 6 levels long. Here's a couple of shots of the levels before anything is added to them:

And here's today's gif (it's a hard jump to make):

B
S

Post » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:15 pm

So today was a productive day. Spent a lot of time making some enemies, which was a pain to be honest, but it's sorted now! Also made a couple of levels for chapter 3 and have everything else set up for finishing the game, just need to make the last 4 levels.

Tomorrow will be my last day to work on the game before friends play it, so I'll post a build tomorrow before I leave.

Here's your gif for today, I'm being chased by some homing missiles...

B
S

Post » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:29 pm

Nice and short today. Game's done. Well....ready at least for this weekend. We've added:

Levels (18), enemies, and music! The great https://twitter.com/julesurma on twitter did the music for me, if you like it go let him know!

I'll let you guys know how the playtesting goes on Monday, until then, feel free to play it yourselves!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/264 ... index.html
B
S

Post » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:50 pm

Had a great weekend of playtesting! Took today off so no real update. I'm busy all tomorrow then I can work on the bugs/issues we found on Wednesday. Got the event on Thursday evening so I'll be sure to post about that on the Friday!

Thanks for all the advice/help/support you guys gave me. I know I really benefitted from this, it kept me on track and motivated!
B
S

Post » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:33 am

looks great so far..

I got to chapter 2 and noticed a mistake... (not sure if it's on purpose)

when you reverse the gravity and your guys are upside down you invert the stick control.. that's not intuitive.. I'd recommend keeping the stick doing the same movement even though you are on the ceiling... I think it just makes sense to do that when controlling 1 player, nevermind your game where you control 2. What ends up happening is that since you invert the controls, you end up thinking you are controlling the other player.

If you were going to do such a dramatic thing (invert the stick) I'd make it VERY clear, and introduce that mechanic slow. And that would be a very advance challenge...

otherwise great!

the music is a little repetitive.. I liked it better with no music.. but that's me.. I'm a super snob when it comes to game music. :) I hate mindless loops. btw the music currently does NOT loop seamlessly which makes it that much worse.. there's a small space between then end and beginning...just needs to be cut currently.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:33 am

@jobel Yeah it's another thing I went back and forth on with the inverted controls but my playtesting found that people liked it more that way. When I flesh out an options menu I'll definitely add the ability to switch it though so it suits each individual. As for the music I've noticed the loop and my music guy is gonna fix it for me. Thanks again for all the feedback you've given me!
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests