incredibly slow import/preview times, and memory problems.

Post » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:38 pm

I've no idea how it could take so long - on my system the 400mb project previews in about 25 seconds (most of which is building the spritesheets). It saves the results too so the next preview after that only takes ~2 seconds.

Note Construct 2 never assembled spritesheets in the editor - it only did that on export, so C3 has more work to do on the first preview. However since the results are saved subsequent previews should be faster.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:52 pm

I also noticed sometime in the past week a significant slow down in my loading/saving/previewing and r40 seems to make it better its still not near as quick as it was two weeks ago. My project has only went from ~6mb to ~8mb now in the past two weeks but it went from near instant loading, saving, previewing to ~20-30 seconds for loading/saving and ~10-20 seconds for previewing. It's not terrible but it is a very noticeable difference.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Working more the past few hours it has been painful trying to add new layouts and the application is spending a lot of time rendering images and it frequently locks up while trying to load these images. My game is under 8mb still and I am spending half my work time staring at the screen waiting for it to load and hoping it's not actually frozen.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:35 pm

Thirstyy wrote:Working more the past few hours it has been painful trying to add new layouts and the application is spending a lot of time rendering images and it frequently locks up while trying to load these images. My game is under 8mb still and I am spending half my work time staring at the screen waiting for it to load and hoping it's not actually frozen.

While the initial load time is much faster for me today than it was yesterday, I'm getting similar performance issues. I recorded my opening the application with task manager open, and then opening my file and loading a couple layouts. Then I did the same in Construct 2 for a speed comparison. I'll upload the video later today/tonight and share results.

I just don't want to be one of those people you see in some threads who whine about performance, but don't show anything to back it up. If there is anything more I can check/show to better help understand the issue, I'll be happy to do so.
B
S

Post » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:44 am

Watching videos isn't going to help anything. What you can do instead is record a profile while something slow is happening. Open Chrome dev tools, go to the Performance tab, and hit Record. Then do something that is slow while it's recording. Then stop recording, right click in the main view and select 'Save profile'. Upload the resulting file somewhere, and then there is detailed performance data I can look at, which should give a lot of insight to what is actually making it slow.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Thanks Ashley for the suggestion on what we can do to help with this issue. I opened a github issue to track this here https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues/552 but my first attempt to record performance failed. I think the process of recording caused the performance to drop to nothing and my screen sat loading sprites and recording for 15 mins.

I will continue to add to that github issue if I can get some more information and would encourage other's experiencing this issue to add their comments to the issue.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:57 pm

OK, will follow this up on the GitHub issue.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:25 am

EDIT: Submitted the issue to GitHub, we moved it over to the GC team, they found that it was a pretty big issue with Chrome, and are rolling out a patch to the latest beta (which I believe can be found in Canary).
B
S

Previous

Return to General Discussion