Infiniscape - Coming Soon!

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:40 am

After much personal deliberation, I have decided that while the direction Construct 2 is taking is interesting, it is not going in a direction that will help me achieve my goals...and with that I will be standing by - and improving in any way that I can - Construct 0.9x. Hopefully in doing so, I can help that portion of the community that stays behind as Construct moves forward.

So what is Infiniscape? It is my first offering, of hopefully many - and it will also be the largest one. It is at the very heart of Void Runner, powering it's ability to generate a procedural universe that extends forever in every direction. A universe as detailed as I want it to be, down to the very soil on the planets. Internally we refer to this "heart" as the "Combobulator", which crunches most of our numbers for us. The code is already there, I just have to yank it out of Void Runner.

Over the next week or two, I will be isolating this portion of Void Runner, and releasing it as a plugin called Infiniscape, which will be primarily targeted at generating infinite procedural terrain in terrestrial settings, but could possibly be jury rigged for space as well if you tried hard enough. Using this plugin will be simple enough, but will require some explanation, so I will also write up an in depth tutorial to coincide with the release. I am not sure at this time if I will integrate perlin noise support within the plugin itself, as it could easily be used alongside the perlin plugin, but it would certainly be easier to use if it was integrated.

Most of my future offerings will likely be targeted at helping people with large scale "roguelike" games, as those are my favorite games to play! I am planning a city generator to compliment the existing dungeon generator, as well as a very simplistic inventory plugin. Anyway, more info soon.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:22 am

It's great to see that there's some more love coming Construct 0.x's way. Infiniscape sounds pretty awesome and versatile. And I know many people will love you for the inventory plugin!

Can't wait to get my hands on your plugin(s)! :D
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:43 pm

I will love you for an inventory plugin. I think I'm nearing the stage where I could actually make an inventory myself... but anything that makes complicated things easier is awesome! :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:17 pm

I will be very happy to be discombobulated by your Combobulator.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:58 am

Sad to see Construct 2 moving away from executables to more of a web focus. Oh well. Can't wait to mess with your plugin! I wanna combobulate!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:48 am

[quote="greyspot":39xo7e1m]Sad to see Construct 2 moving away from executables to more of a web focus. [/quote:39xo7e1m]

Has that been confirmed? I haven't kept up on everything going on with it, but if that's true that's a program killer. I can see it in addition to exe's, but web-only? I'd hate to have to switch back to MMF2, because, well, MMF2's event system sucks, but web-only would make me go bye-bye. I'd gladly pay for it if it's an advanced continuation of the original Construct but I don't know about the web-based thing. The whole concept with the original is just too good to throw away and go into a different direction now.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:11 am

Opengl exe export is planned.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:00 am

As Arima said, an exe export is most likely to come, but you shouldn't expect one in the next 6 to 12 month.

Arsonide, that's some fine decision. I'm happy that there are more people that don't ignore 0.x and support with such nice plugins. Can't wait to test them :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:17 am

I didn't mean that it wouldn't eventually have an exe export plugin, but that the focus has shifted away from desktop applications to be more web based. I think it should be the other way around, but that's just my personal opinion. I just hate that executables is now an afterthought, and now all of the plugins and examples that have been made by the community for Construct are effectively trash, seeing as 0.X won't be getting a whole lot of attention any more.

Kind of disappointed when I read the article for the 2.0 release on the direction the Construct Team is going with the program, but it's still early in development, so we will wait and see what happens.

Wow, we got a bit off topic :D Anyways...
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:46 am

[quote="MrMiller":3hkzi50h]Has that been confirmed? I haven't kept up on everything going on with it, but if that's true that's a program killer. I can see it in addition to exe's, but web-only? I'd hate to have to switch back to MMF2, because, well, MMF2's event system sucks, but web-only would make me go bye-bye. I'd gladly pay for it if it's an advanced continuation of the original Construct but I don't know about the web-based thing. The whole concept with the original is just too good to throw away and go into a different direction now.[/quote:3hkzi50h]

[quote="greyspot":3hkzi50h]I didn't mean that it wouldn't eventually have an exe export plugin, but that the focus has shifted away from desktop applications to be more web based. I think it should be the other way around, but that's just my personal opinion. I just hate that executables is now an afterthought, and now all of the plugins and examples that have been made by the community for Construct are effectively trash, seeing as 0.X won't be getting a whole lot of attention any more.

Kind of disappointed when I read the article for the 2.0 release on the direction the Construct Team is going with the program[/quote:3hkzi50h]

That just about sums up my feelings on it.
It's all about the moolah! :)

They should have included .exe and web export from the start, and charged a price for it, and other exporters would be extra, much like Unity uses (my time is spent between Unity and Eclipse/Java almost exclusively these days.)

I still love Construct 0.x, and have no plans to abandon my main Construct project, so by the time I've finished all these projects, maybe Construct 2 will have caught up with Construct in ability, and a fully-featured .exe exporter will be available at a decent price.

I've got more than enough to be getting on with for most of this year, lol.

Oh yeah, back on topic;
Sounds great Arsonide.
If you need someone to do any testing, I'll be glad to help out.
Looking forward to what you come up with.

Krush.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct Classic Discussion