Input lag

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:30 am

[quote="ranma":2njg3jh4][quote="Lost my Keys":2njg3jh4]
The 120fps was just something I left it at, it works without lag at 60fps, 20fps, 900fps too.[/quote:2njg3jh4]

well, it does not, when i set the fixed framerate to 60 it behaves exactly as when i turn the v-synced mode.

also,
[quote="Construct Wiki":2njg3jh4]
V-Synced: [...] The best quality and smoothest display. Games should all use this option.[/quote:2njg3jh4]
[quote="Lost my Keys":2njg3jh4]The point was, turning v-synch off solves the problem[/quote:2njg3jh4]

I'm confused :?

Thank you Madster for explaining, but i don't think the lag is 2 frames, if my monitor draws 60 frames per second, the lag seems more like about 10 frames (well, now, after fiddling with the nvidia control panel). please also don't jump to conclusions that it's bad lcd, because the hardware mouse cursor does not lag whatsoever.

Any ideas how to lower the lag even more, to the twoframes from the Madster explanation?[/quote:2njg3jh4]

Well I don't know what to tell you then besides filling a test layout up with lots of things, to simulate a completed game, and see if it still does it. Or just use the default cursor rather than a custom one (I know that isn't the perfect solution).

Why don't you make some higher fps limit, but have your game run at 60fps or something, can't that timedelta thing do that? Then just not use it on anything involving the mouse pointer. Wont that solve the problem? Though judging by the number of games and people having this problem, it might just be one of those things you have to live with. Do what most developers do, blame Microsoft and the end users hardware, say it's entirely out of your control and not a problem with your game, then suggest turning v-synch off as a last resort. :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:12 am

[quote="ranma":1dws37nr]Any ideas how to lower the lag even more, to the twoframes from the Madster explanation?[/quote:1dws37nr]
I know it looks like it is more, but it isn't. We're just more sensitive to mouse lag than to button lag.

Also, it's two frames AND A VSYNC.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:35 am

Two frames and a V-sync should be around 50ms lag - surely not as obvious as the video that was posted. Is there something else going on here as well maybe? Perhaps if Windows is updating the mouse at 50Hz, and drawing at 60Hz, you could lose another frame, and perhaps another being Construct's fault for getting input at the wrong time or something. (I'll check if it gets input before or after V-sync - it should definitely be after!)

Still, I guess the hardware mouse cursor is the best way to make it less noticable. We'd need a new plugin for that. Basically it would override the OS cursor image, rather than using a sprite following the mouse with lag and all. The mouse position known by Construct will still lag for the same reasons, but it won't appear to with the actual cursor itself.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic