Inskape VS Illustrator

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Pack of illustrator graphic styles. Make your own logos, game titles, or anything you want.
  • Which program you see is better for vector graphic editing?

I want your opinion

• I'd say inkscape because its free and relatively has the same functions as illustrator.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Inkscape.. it does crash sometimes, but I like it a lot better than Illustrator. Unless you are a serious art producer, I'd say Inkscape is more than you'll ever need.

• IMHO , I think illustrator is more powerful & better. I tried using inskape and its design look very simple & I hate this! It reminds me in the old windows xp paint

• If you use Photoshop and Flash as well, there is no way round Illustrator! Smart-Objects are the best ever in designing things!

• You don't really have a choice, I'd say. The most sophisticated product is of course Illustrator, but if you can't afford to pay 280€ per year, you must use Inkscape.

• if you want something powerful but not as expensive as illustrator, take a look at this http://www.madewithmischief.com/

it's new, and it's going to get a lot of attention.

• harrio

Thanks for this link. It looks awesome.

But for the OP yea the GUI-Interface could be updated but I use it. I used it alot for my recent project and learned alot of things it was capable of, things I didn't know it was able to do. So Inkscape is not bad. You can always try out Microsoft Expressions it nice and free (cause they stopped development on it). I use a few times for vector work.

• Inkscape. For an indie game dev you can't beat free.

• Although I own a license of Illustrator CS6, I no longer use it for work. When I do open it, I abuse it mostly as a conversion tool for AI files.

I never liked working in Illustrator: its basic workflow is cumbersome (this coming from an ex Adobe Certified Expert for Illustrator). I work with a Wacom tablet, and Illustrator's tiny handles and anchor points are quite painful to deal with on a 2560x1440 27" screen. Illustrator is also fiendishly slow compared to competing apps (although things have improved in CC 2014).

Also, I will NEVER subscribe to the CC model of Adobe. They lost me as a loyal ~18+ year long customer, and I switched to alternative software about 18 months ago.

So I prefer Xara Designer Pro, InkScape, and Photoline. Lately I tend to work more with Photoline's vector tools which got a boost in the latest beta. It just feels very convenient to be working with both vectors and excellent bitmap tools in the same application, and freely combining both in almost any way.

I worked with large level designs consisting of thousands of vector objects in Photoline, and quite like it. Honestly, the same levels in Illustrator were more difficult to manage.

So: good riddance Illustrator

PS one of the strengths of Photoline is its external app link: when I am working on a vector element in Photoline, and I need a quick edit in InkScape, Photoline allows me to quickly open that element in Inkscape, and then when I save the object in InkScape the object in Photoline is automatically updated. Very handy.

• if you want something powerful but not as expensive as illustrator, take a look at this http://www.madewithmischief.com/

it's new, and it's going to get a lot of attention.

Mischief is indeed very interesting, but it behaves like a "traditional" draw and paint application. More comparable to Krita, Painter, and Photoshop in terms of digital painting workflow - not comparable at all to Illustrator or a typical vector illustration package.

• A combination of die-hard loyalty to Macromedia and a lot of web dev work has left me always favouring Fireworks over Illustrator.

Though I must admit, having only made the jump from 8 to CS6, I'm immensely underwhelmed with what Adobe have done to progress things - between that and Creative Cloud I'm pretty miffed at their graphics monopoly.

• > if you want something powerful but not as expensive as illustrator, take a look at this http://www.madewithmischief.com/

>

> it's new, and it's going to get a lot of attention.

>

Mischief is indeed very interesting, but it behaves like a "traditional" draw and paint application. More comparable to Krita, Painter, and Photoshop in terms of digital painting workflow - not comparable at all to Illustrator or a typical vector illustration package.

Rayek

i believe that is exactly their intention in creating mischief. people even refer to it as the love child of Ps and Ai. you get the ease and natural process of creating, similar to all raster based programs, with the power, small file size, lossless zoom, resolution independence and other benefits of vector programs.

many artists who work in raster, want the freedom to output their work to whatever resolution is needed, but can't within the confines of raster. while vector artists would like the streamlined work flow of creating in a 'raster-style' rather than endless bezier manipulations.

it may not be your cup of tea, but there is definitely a growing market for what it offers. plus, at version 1.0 it will only continue to get better and more 'useful'.

• Illustrator was always clubbersome. I started learning graphic deisgn with it.

Flash was much faster when trying to create vector art.

Check out cartoonsmart tutorials and you will learn using flash as a pro.

Inkscape is good for free.

Also you do not have to rely on adobe cc model. Go to ebay and other sites and buy the old version for much less cost.

I am still using cs4 and they all work well.

New features are not that beneficial except smart objects in the whole adobe design family.

But Flash and Illustrator can beat down inkscape any day with quality they provide.

If you are a traditional artist you are going to use any software well, but for us who have learned drawing with mouse and pen tablets, we would like to stick with flash and illustrator. I haven't got the updated version of inkscape, let me check and see how better it has become.

• Mischief looks awesome, keeping in mind it can use GPU and create vector like Art. But I am going to stick with flash for now.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)