Inskape VS Illustrator

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:07 am

harrio wrote:if you want something powerful but not as expensive as illustrator, take a look at this http://www.madewithmischief.com/

it's new, and it's going to get a lot of attention.


Mischief is indeed very interesting, but it behaves like a "traditional" draw and paint application. More comparable to Krita, Painter, and Photoshop in terms of digital painting workflow - not comparable at all to Illustrator or a typical vector illustration package.
Win7 64- i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode
B
30
S
10
G
8
Posts: 170
Reputation: 7,074

Post » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:14 am

A combination of die-hard loyalty to Macromedia and a lot of web dev work has left me always favouring Fireworks over Illustrator.

Though I must admit, having only made the jump from 8 to CS6, I'm immensely underwhelmed with what Adobe have done to progress things - between that and Creative Cloud I'm pretty miffed at their graphics monopoly.
B
62
S
22
G
10
Posts: 647
Reputation: 10,478

Post » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:57 am

Rayek wrote:
harrio wrote:if you want something powerful but not as expensive as illustrator, take a look at this http://www.madewithmischief.com/

it's new, and it's going to get a lot of attention.


Mischief is indeed very interesting, but it behaves like a "traditional" draw and paint application. More comparable to Krita, Painter, and Photoshop in terms of digital painting workflow - not comparable at all to Illustrator or a typical vector illustration package.


@Rayek

i believe that is exactly their intention in creating mischief. people even refer to it as the love child of Ps and Ai. you get the ease and natural process of creating, similar to all raster based programs, with the power, small file size, lossless zoom, resolution independence and other benefits of vector programs.

many artists who work in raster, want the freedom to output their work to whatever resolution is needed, but can't within the confines of raster. while vector artists would like the streamlined work flow of creating in a 'raster-style' rather than endless bezier manipulations.

it may not be your cup of tea, but there is definitely a growing market for what it offers. plus, at version 1.0 it will only continue to get better and more 'useful'.
B
81
S
32
G
23
Posts: 1,053
Reputation: 35,965

Post » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:43 pm

Illustrator was always clubbersome. I started learning graphic deisgn with it.

Flash was much faster when trying to create vector art.

Check out cartoonsmart tutorials and you will learn using flash as a pro.

Inkscape is good for free.

Also you do not have to rely on adobe cc model. Go to ebay and other sites and buy the old version for much less cost.

I am still using cs4 and they all work well.

New features are not that beneficial except smart objects in the whole adobe design family.

But Flash and Illustrator can beat down inkscape any day with quality they provide.

If you are a traditional artist you are going to use any software well, but for us who have learned drawing with mouse and pen tablets, we would like to stick with flash and illustrator. I haven't got the updated version of inkscape, let me check and see how better it has become.
Image
B
21
S
9
G
3
Posts: 156
Reputation: 3,565

Post » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:53 pm

Mischief looks awesome, keeping in mind it can use GPU and create vector like Art. But I am going to stick with flash for now.
Image
B
21
S
9
G
3
Posts: 156
Reputation: 3,565

Post » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:08 am

I use Inkscape as it's free and can do what I can think about. :)
B
96
S
20
G
15
Posts: 198
Reputation: 14,571

Post » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:14 am

If you insist on Illustrator you may try CS2 version. Adobe giveaway them free, don't know why! Only thing i know is they stop supporting that release.

I strongly recommend CorelDraw for vectoral drawings.
B
21
S
4
G
4
Posts: 161
Reputation: 3,803

Post » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:51 am

onur wrote:If you insist on Illustrator you may try CS2 version. Adobe giveaway them free, don't know why! Only thing i know is they stop supporting that release.

I strongly recommend CorelDraw for vectoral drawings.


CS2, as far as I know, is not usable for free by anyone, only those whom actually possesed a license of it before, it just is not clear and poorly executed(as anyone can go ahead and download them from their website with nothing preventing them), but actually it is not legal to do so If I remember correctly.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
53
S
22
G
18
Posts: 2,122
Reputation: 17,123

Post » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:33 am

Aphrodite wrote:CS2, as far as I know, is not usable for free by anyone, only those whom actually possesed a license of it before, it just is not clear and poorly executed(as anyone can go ahead and download them from their website with nothing preventing them), but actually it is not legal to do so If I remember correctly.

Indeed, it isn't legal. Also, Adobe changed the way you access those downloads. You need to make an account now, with a lot of personal information required.
The downloads are just for those who own a licence.
Image
B
24
S
8
G
10
Posts: 1,821
Reputation: 8,279

Previous

Return to Tools and Resources

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest