Installation builder

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:31 pm

Here's one for those of you who are planning on exporting for Windows desktop.

I was doing some digging around for installation builders and came across Inno Setup. I downloaded it and tried it out and was very impressed with how it turned out: very professional installer and highly customisable. Options for wizard-based or hand-scripted. Worked perfectly with a node-webkit exported game.

It also includes options to create a desktop icon, include a web link in the installed Start Menu folder, and even comes with an uninstaller.

Oh, and it's free!

The only thing wrong I can find with it is that it doesn't seem to have any sort of version control. It just always installs over the app if it's already installed. Still, it's a hell of a lot more professional than shipping a zip file. GeometriX2013-06-27 13:31:41
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:28 pm

It is easy to monetize too ;) Try for example Better instaler monetize system :P
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:41 pm

I have 2 choices of installation builder I know:

-Indigo Rose Setup Factory
-Clickteam Install Creator
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:15 am

I never seen this before, it is a nice looking application!

I have had to use NullSoft's NSIS in the past, and it is not very user friendly.
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:15 am

I use Flexera InstallShield professionally, it's costly at around 400 for the express editions.

Haven't tried any free alternatives but I must admit the Inno Setup looks ideal for simple Construct packages...

It seems to have been pretty consistently developed over the last 8 years too, which is nice
B
S
G

Return to Tools and Resources