instance of object in new layout or game layout?

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • for me to create an object that isn't already in the game, i need to have an instance of it somewhere in the game. should i create a new layout and put all the 'to be created' objects in it or should i put it in the same layout as the game but hide it outside the border? which way is more efficient?

• I recommend using a dedicated "parking lot" layout for most of those objects, but there might be some instances in which you want to park them off to the side of the main game layout. For example, if you're spawning a lengthy or large explosion animation on enemy death or whatever, when that animation is spawned for the first time it needs to be loaded into memory, this can cause some nasty lag that's especially noticeable if your game is fast-paced like a platformer or shoot-'em-up.

If you put that animation off to the side of your game layout, it's loaded into memory immediately when the layout starts, which still causes the same amount of lag, but it'll be far less noticeable as it's not happening in the thick of the action. Some designers like to cover up this initial lag with a fake loading screen, popup text/dialogue/tutorial or something that fits the narrative of your game.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I recommend using a dedicated "parking lot" layout for most of those objects, but there might be some instances in which you want to park them off to the side of the main game layout. For example, if you're spawning a lengthy or large explosion animation on enemy death or whatever, when that animation is spawned for the first time it needs to be loaded into memory, this can cause some nasty lag that's especially noticeable if your game is fast-paced like a platformer or shoot-'em-up.

If you put that animation off to the side of your game layout, it's loaded into memory immediately when the layout starts, which still causes the same amount of lag, but it'll be far less noticeable as it's not happening in the thick of the action. Some designers like to cover up this initial lag with a fake loading screen, popup text/dialogue/tutorial or something that fits the narrative of your game.

thanks for the tip! i appreciate it

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)