Integration with Photon Cloud: Multiplayer

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:36 am

[QUOTE=zyblade] When there will be support with the java-sdk, switching to udp in photon cloud, would it be possible then, using the platform behavior? Or integrate multiple controls in the photon behavior?
Everything related to movement will send unreliable packets, everything else then tcp or reliable udp?

If yes, will it be in near future?[/QUOTE]

There is no UDP in websockets, there's only TCP. This can work for some games, but not good if quick and reliable response times are needed. UDP is possible using WebRTC, which is only supported in Chrome and Firefox (and Webkit GTK+ will support it soon as well, if not already). For very large multiplayer games, you may want to check if the Photon HTML5 client supports WebRTC and not just Websockets.JoyfulDreamer2013-04-21 09:37:18
Jack of all trades, and master of some.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:23 am

@JoyfulDreamer
To quote from the Photon Cloud documentation: "Update stats, positions or your current turn. Photon will send it as fast as possible via (optionally) reliable UDP, TCP or Websockets.".
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:23 pm

The other question is: does it use compression? ;) (that is, conversion of JavaScript objects and values to compacted binary values) this can greatly bump the throughput. ;) There are articles on this on how compression of data in JavaScript multiplies the amount of data sent per packet.
Jack of all trades, and master of some.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:31 pm

@JoyfulDreamer
You'll find answers to your questions here.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:03 pm

Hmm, "several headers reflect the properties you expect of Photon: optional reliability, sequencing, aggregation of messages, time synchronization and various others", sounds really good. Would be awesome to have these(and more) features implemented.

They say they got reliable udp, but what's the difference between reliable and unreliable udp? I googled a bit and can say now: tcp setting up a connection and getting sure, every packet is sent(reliable and slower). Udp(without connection) is sending regardless if the packet arrived or not(unreliable but faster).

So what's reliable udp then?

edit: I find this also interesting -> linkzyblade2013-04-22 15:16:05
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:09 pm

[QUOTE=zyblade]... They say they got reliable udp ... So what's reliable udp then?[/QUOTE]Wikipedia has a short article on RUDP. Bottom line: "RUDP implements features that are similar to TCP with less overhead".
[QUOTE=zyblade]... I find this also interesting -> link[/QUOTE]
Just keep in mind that that page refers to Photon Server, not Photon Cloud, which is what my behavior/plugin targets.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:41 am

[QUOTE=Velojet] [QUOTE=zyblade]... They say they got reliable udp ... So what's reliable udp then?[/QUOTE]Wikipedia has a short article on RUDP. Bottom line: "RUDP implements features that are similar to TCP with less overhead".
[QUOTE=zyblade]... I find this also interesting -> link[/QUOTE]
Just keep in mind that that page refers to Photon Server, not Photon Cloud, which is what my behavior/plugin targets.[/QUOTE] Photon Cloud also supports it if take the cloud part of the documentation as correct information.

http://doc.exitgames.com/photon-cloud/QuickStart/
First paragraph under SEND EVENTS.

Edit: Derp, didn't pay attention to the quotes properly lol
---

I'm pretty interested in C2 compatibility with Photon Cloud and wish it the best :D
Thndr2013-04-28 09:20:14
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 07, 2013 12:45 am

Nice Velojet you Rock!
Tell me one thing are you going to make an oficial addon for this?
I'm trying to make a game by turns.
Player 1 Select Options.
Player 2 Select Options.
Then Sprites make the movement and actions happens.
My concept of multiplayer right now its not based on a platform game with 2 players movings.
Which I guess it can be easier to code.

I'm betting your examples help me out with this!
Thank you for this help really!
B
S

Post » Tue May 07, 2013 3:34 am

Just saw this thread...looks really exciting! Looks like you are making this plugin exactly like it needs to be..nice and high level!
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Are you still developing this plugin?
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas