Integration with Photon Cloud: Multiplayer

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:15 pm

@Velojet

This is really exciting work!

I'm just trying out your multiplayer game but can't seem to get it working. Can you clarify what you mean by installing the Photon SDK on localhost port 9090? I think this is where my error is. The Photon site isn't super helpful.

I have the server up and running and I run Photon control as application but I don't see my player move in the other window when I move in the first window.
B

Post » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:40 am

@iprene
Thanks for your comments!

I agree that the Photon site isn't super helpful!

I could have been more helpful too! I see that I omitted a crucial step (now corrected):

** You'll also need to download and install the Photon JavaScript SDK: Photon-JavaScript_v-3-0-0-3-Beta_SDK.zip - there's an INSTALL.txt file in the package. **

If Photon is properly installed locally, it should run on port 9090 - that's where the PhotonPlayer plugin expects to find it.

Does the Photon Testclient return the expected results for you?Velojet2012-07-10 09:32:53
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:49 am

really nice... I will try to hop on to find out how to get the most out of it in combination with Construct :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:33 pm

@Velojet

Thanks for the fix! I've downloaded the JavaScript zip file and I believe I followed the install instructions. I can run their chat.html test sample and that seems to work fine with two browsers.

Sorry for the problems (I'm very new to servers and such), but I still can't get it to work with your gridgame. I've re-exported and restarted Photon Control. When I run the Testclient, it tells me the game server is at 127.0.0.1:4530, so this is what I suspect is the problem, but I don't know how to make it run on port 9090...

Thanks again!
B

Post » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:41 am

@iprene

No need to apologise! We were all new to servers once (and I'm still new to the Photon server!). (@Taurian is more familiar with it, and offered to help, so he might like to chime in on this one.)

It does sound as if it's the port setting that's your problem.

The WebSocketListener port that Photon uses is set in PhotonServer.config line 70: Port="9090"

(PhotonServer.config is in app\deploy\bin_Win...\

(I can't recall setting this by hand, so something in my install must have done it.)

Don't hesitate to keep on asking (but I hope it works for you now Velojet2012-07-12 03:50:18
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:02 am

I'm very excited to get into using this, but unfortunately, my game model is not ready to be exported into a playable demo (As I've only put about 12 hours into it thusfar). I'm praying that development is rapidly continuing on this as it has been and will be more familiar to the engine when I have something that I can run. Keep up the great work, guys!
B

Post » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:41 pm

Just posting to say this is awesome ;] Keep up the good work!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:11 pm

[QUOTE=iprene] @Velojet

Thanks for the fix! I've downloaded the JavaScript zip file and I believe I followed the install instructions. I can run their chat.html test sample and that seems to work fine with two browsers.

Sorry for the problems (I'm very new to servers and such), but I still can't get it to work with your gridgame. I've re-exported and restarted Photon Control. When I run the Testclient, it tells me the game server is at 127.0.0.1:4530, so this is what I suspect is the problem, but I don't know how to make it run on port 9090...

Thanks again![/QUOTE]

@Iprene, you can load up the photon console log to see what is going on. Maybe post it here.

Right click on the Photon Server in the task bar and click "Open Logs"
Epic Space Online - Google it!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:26 am

That's a very interesting concept about multiplayer in C2.
I'm pretty sure the developers will come up with something solid for the tool in the future.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:08 am

From the first post in this topic:
[QUOTE=Taurian] This would be a great addon. The ability to communicate with Exit Games: Photon Cloud Service ...
They have a Photon Javascript SDK ...
I'm just not quite sure yet how to make the two communicate.[/QUOTE]
It's clear to me now that their Javascript SDK doesn't communicate with the Photon Cloud. It requires a standalone Photon server (as does my PhotonPlayer Construct 2 plugin, that uses their SDK).

I've posted an enquiry in the Photon forum about chances of getting a JavaScript/HTML5 SDK for the Photon Cloud.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas