Intel XDK moving away from standard Cordova Apps?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
12 unique hits, slashes and spells in transparent PNG sequences
  • Please see link: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/700951

If I understand correctly, XDK will move away from publishing regular cordova apps. How does this affect us as Construct 2 users exporting using cordova? My apologies if I ask it here. I haven't done my research on "Internet of things (IoT)" and probably need better explanation about this link above.

I use cocoon.io as an alternate to xdk. But of course, I prefer xdk. Bottom line: is XDK going away as a build tool for Construct 2/HTML5 games? Thanks in advance for an explanation.

• It should be fine IF you have your keystore file and iOS certificates etc. You can re-sign it with the respective Android/iOS tools.. since the export is Cordova based, you can move it to another platform that supports Cordova.

• What does this mean ?, now there is no agreement between Scirra and XDK ?.

• I do have my keystores and certificates on back-up. I guess I'm going to have to start using cocoon.io more now.

I'm still not sure. Just have to wait and see if there's any updates on this from Intel.

Ashley any thoughts on this?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It doesn't sound like they have any immediate plans to drop support, but I asked Paul to clarify.

Even if the XDK completely shut down, there's always PhoneGap Build and other build services. It is not and has never been the only build system you can use.

• It doesn't sound like they have any immediate plans to drop support, but I asked Paul to clarify.

Even if the XDK completely shut down, there's always PhoneGap Build and other build services. It is not and has never been the only build system you can use.

It's true that XDK is not the only one build system we can use, but it's - if I'm not mistaken - the only one officially supported at the moment? So I believe the concern is if Scirra will start officially support some other build system in case XDK will no longer be an option for us?

Some time ago (in this post) you said:

If you're talking about Canvas+, that has been officially unsupported for some time now, because it's incompatible with so many features it basically never works. So if you try to use it you are on your own and should not have any expectation of it working correctly.

Which means (at least I understand it this way) that Scirra does not guarantee that our app build with unsupported build system will work at all, and will not take care of solving issues related with those platforms.

I hope Intel will not abandon us . We already have a lot of problems with plugins for mobile development and switching old projects to different system will probably be seriously problematic.

• Um, I haven't tried it, but shouldn't the Cordova Cli work as well?

• It's true that XDK is not the only one build system we can use, but it's - if I'm not mistaken - the only one officially supported at the moment?

No, we always have, and still do, support PhoneGap Build. I actually prefer it myself because it's simpler than the XDK - just upload a zip and download an .ipa/.apk back - but for some reason it doesn't seem to have gained the same popularity as the XDK (guess because the free version is limited to 1 app, but you can replace it with different ones!)

Canvas+ was never a real browser engine, and we dropped it as part of dropping support for the non-browser engines which were always incredibly painful to work with. Ludei have other platforms which are based on browser engines now.

• This is why I pray to the Code Gods that Construct 3 has Native support. I'm really tired of these third party options. You will never know when they will "quit" on you... No matter how many 3rd party build system your software may support.

• This is why I pray to the Code Gods that Construct 3 has Native support. I'm really tired of these third party options. You will never know when they will "quit" on you... No matter how many 3rd party build system your software may support.

I would pay a lot more for Construct 3 if it had a native export option for:

PC, iOS & Android. The rest can be optional or 3rd party... so it's less work for Scirra. They would only need to maintain 3x native export compatibility.

This is the biggest demand feature from Construct 2's user-base for so long..

It could also be a paid subscription service or whatever but C3 needs it to be complete.

• > This is why I pray to the Code Gods that Construct 3 has Native support. I'm really tired of these third party options. You will never know when they will "quit" on you... No matter how many 3rd party build system your software may support.

>

I would pay a lot more for Construct 3 if it had a native export option for:

PC, iOS & Android. The rest can be optional or 3rd party... so it's less work for Scirra. They would only need to maintain 3x native export compatibility.

This is the biggest demand feature from Construct 2's user-base for so long..

It could also be a paid subscription service or whatever but C3 needs it to be complete.

Hell yeah, I would pay extra too..

• No news about this ?.

What is the situation with C2 and XDK?

• ... so it's less work for Scirra. They would only need to maintain 3x native export compatibility.

i might be wrong about this im saying, but c2 only has html5 supporting atm, which is 1 native exporting option to maintain, wouldn't be 3x + the html5 more work to maintain?

dont get me wrong, i want native from C2 i mean as you said, its the only thing, we all C2 users want. but if that means, killing updates delivery as scirra got us used with by now, id prefer be a stable and even premium third parties as phonegap, side not to this: i dont use phonegap, not because its not free for more then 1 project, but because, its weird to customize the icons, and other project details, plus the game tests i did with it, where never compatible with more then 400 devices, as where XDK you only click and select C2 style basically, and google play atleast for Android shows over 1000 devices. which is a huge difference.

P.S even if all APK/IOS third parties or native drops, there are still plenty of html5 compilers on wide internet that are fast, and simple to use. one i can remember now from top of my head that is also free, is html5compiler or something like that its a git little project. plus there for android is also the androidsdk way of doing it. dont know for ios now.

so it wold not be a big issue after all. but wold be great to have the "native" exporters in C2 or still have the XDK support. Wold not require the users to get extra skills in their mind.

• I've also wanted native exporters. I've given a really good explanation why Scirra should do this before.

But it don't think that's gonna happen. We all want it, but apparently its too much work or "isn't even better" or something else. Well, to grow a company you have to take chances.

I've learned that years ago.

• +1 Native exporter for C3

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)