Intel XDK new build system (CW16 test results)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:24 pm

chadorireborn wrote:@BackendFreak - Thanks for sharing @BackendFreak . Now I don't have to move to Cocoon.IO anymore XD

We will see when it comes out. They are still working on the new build system so they will do some changes still. I hope they won't affect performance in the final release comparing to the version I had my APKs compiled for tests.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:40 am

You should test the Webview only build, Android 5+ system webview has Chromium that boost performance by 20% compared to previous versions. I suspect the gains you are seeing is due to the recent Crosswalk build moving to more recent Chromiums.

So if you target Android 5+, no Crosswalk, no need for +20MB to the APK.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:14 am

I have tested Webview on Android 5+ with two games and it was still much slower than Crosswalk. Iwrote that in different topic. The comparison of Webview, Crosswalk and Canvas+.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:18 am

BackendFreak wrote:I have tested Webview on Android 5+ with two games and it was still much slower than Crosswalk. Iwrote that in different topic. The comparison of Webview, Crosswalk and Canvas+.

Then something is broken with XDK.

Because on Android 5+ devices, the inbuilt browser runs preview over wi-fi very fast.

Also, you should make a video of your gameplay, so us devs can better judge the performance in context.

Importantly, this should always be measured: cpuutilisation. It gives a ratio from 0 to 1, 1 = 100% loading of the CPU thread and that's bad.

So if you get 60 fps and 50% (0.5) cpu usage, that's a great result.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:25 am

@BackendFreak - Do you know when is the release date?

The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:18 am

@Silverforce it will come out soon so everybody can do it's own test. Mine wasn't official or anything. Just tested my app for myself and thought I'd share my results. It may also behave differently on various mobiles obviously.

@chadorireborn no I don't. Just know it will be very soon, but what that means nobody knows I guess.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:44 pm

Message: xmnboy can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 1 URLS modified. Why?
@llfstudios -- the new (soon to be released) Intel XDK build system also supports use of the new cordova-plugin-wkwebview-engine for iOS 9 devices which allows the use of the WKWebView (using it on iOS 8 devices automatically falls back to the default UIWebView) -- this will provide substantially improved performance on iOS 9 devices.

@hothead -- we have asked the Crosswalk project to provide us with a "lean" version of the Crosswalk library to help decrease the size of the APK, but so far that does not look promising, the decrease in size is not significant -- BTW, the Google Play store recently increased the allowable size of APKs to 100MB, it was previously 50MB.

@MonDieu -- Android 5+ devices that include a license for Google Play services (that is, they have access to the Google Play store) get an updated webview via the Google Play store that matches the most recently released version of Chrome, and has similar performance to Crosswalk for many apps. However, if you are distributing to devices that are not licensed for use with Google Play services (which is the case for nearly all Asian devices, especially those in China and India) they are not guaranteed to get these updated Chrome-based webviews, in which case you will need Crosswalk to insure your app runs on the proper webview. Crosswalk includes additional HTML5 APIs that are not present in the standard Google Chrome webview. Sign up for this webinar next Wednesday to get some background on that subject > https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/regist ... 1176403202
Intel Corporation
B
S

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:44 pm

Message: xmnboy can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 1 URLS modified. Why?
Here's another attempt at providing that URL, since I don't have enough rep points to post URLs :(

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/ 531305281176403202

Eliminate the space character after the "register/" and before the "531305281176403202" to get the full URL
Intel Corporation
B
S

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:58 pm

Thanks for the clarifications @xmnboy. The 100MB for APK is really a good news! Wasn't aware of that.

@Ashley is it possible to set @xmnboy account as official Intel account here and give him 500 rep points so he could post direct urls? That would benefit for everyone.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:27 pm

@xmnboy so the wkwebview will only work on iOS 9 and above? I know there are plugins such as https://github.com/Telerik-Verified-Plugins/WKWebView but idk if it works cause I'm using cocoon.io which allows for a great performance for iOS 7+. The only thing I don't like about cocoon is the file size limit of 50mb
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General