Intel XDK new build system (CW16 test results)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:35 am

llfstudios wrote:@xmnboy so the wkwebview will only work on iOS 9 and above? I know there are plugins such as https://github.com/Telerik-Verified-Plugins/WKWebView but idk if it works cause I'm using cocoon.io which allows for a great performance for iOS 7+. The only thing I don't like about cocoon is the file size limit of 50mb

That plugin no longer works for XDK build, it gives an error that it can't install it.

I think it's due to major changes in WKWebView from iOS8 or iOS9 (where its more stable and properly supports loading the game from local rather than web, which relies on a fake webserver to send our games to it... a hack workaround!).

@xmnboy

Any news when this new XDK system will be released?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:37 am

xmnboy wrote: the new (soon to be released) Intel XDK build system also supports use of the new cordova-plugin-wkwebview-engine for iOS 9 devices which allows the use of the WKWebView (using it on iOS 8 devices automatically falls back to the default UIWebView) -- this will provide substantially improved performance on iOS 9 devices.

Is this related to the current XDK errors when I try to add the WKWebView plugin?

Error: Plugin "CordovaWebServer" failed to install.
Error: Plugin "" failed to install.
Error: Could not retrieve plugin dependencies for WKWebView Poly '.
Error: Plugin WKWebView Poly failed to install.

It can't install the CordovaWebServer, so it can't install Telerik's WKWebView plugin.

I was guessing it's becaused you need a WebServer to send our game data to the WKWebView, because in iOS8, it would not allow loading from the local files but in iOS9 it does.

Something along those lines?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:19 am

The WKWebView plugin requires [email protected] -- which is not supported by the XDK 5.1.1 build system. It will be supported by the XDK 5.4.1 build system, when that is released with the next release of the XDK.
Intel Corporation
B
S

Post » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:25 am

Message: xmnboy can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 2 URLS modified. Why?
The official WKWebView plugin released by the Cordova project as a new core plugin requires [email protected] -- which is not supported by the XDK 5.1.1 build system. It will be supported by the XDK 5.4.1 build system, when that is released with the next release of the XDK. That version of the WKWebView plugin only increases performance on iOS 9 devices (which currently about 75% of devices). I believe there is an experimental plugin referenced on the plugin page, here > https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugi ... iew-engine

and again, if my URLs are cutoff (remove the space):

https://github.com/apache/ cordova-plugin-wkwebview-engine
Intel Corporation
B
S

Post » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:49 am

@xmnboy
Thanks, I'm fine with iOS9+, due to how buggy iOS8 was with WKWebView.

Any ETA on the next XDK release?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:42 am

Does the new xdk outperform cocoon yet?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:37 pm

@BackendFreak Thanks for sharing this!
Really excited.. of late many of my game 1star reviews are about how bad it performs on their devices. And frankly I had no control on it!

This is really good news. I hope there will no issue with the existing plugins like Cranberrygame's Plugins.

I had major issues when XDK moved to 5.1.1
Create your own Isometric Runner Game using C2:

Check out my game "Last of the Survivors":
Play Store
App Store
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:53 pm

I know what you're talking about @SamRock. My previous app also recieved many 1-stars due to performance issues. But many of those were because people tried to run the app on old devices. So the first thing to do to secure yourself is to set the minimum Android API to (at least) 19 (KitKat). In this way you cut approx 25% of potential customers, but let's say it stright... you actually cut 25% of the 1-stars you would get anyway.

Old devices are simply not strong enough to run wrapped app with Crosswalk and your game (maybe it could with some super simple game - haven't done any yet). Haven't tested Canvas+ on old devices but I think the result would be pretty the same cause Canvas+ obviously isn't like 500% faster than Crosswalk 15.

So first of all I suggest to change the minSdkVersion.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:19 pm

BackendFreak wrote:
So first of all I suggest to change the minSdkVersion.

Thanks for the tip! I always thought of this but also wondered "What if there is user with high end device that can run my game" :D I guess its not worth anymore!
Do try my game its an isometric endless zombie survival. Let me know how it performances you on phone :)
I recently disabled Fadeout, Rain and Day Night cycle (can be enabled in Seetings screens) :(
Create your own Isometric Runner Game using C2:

Check out my game "Last of the Survivors":
Play Store
App Store
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:56 am

I'd still like to do a side-by-side with cocoon to see if it worths jumping through the hoops again for XDK.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General