Intellectual Property Protection of Game concept

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:22 am

In my country, you have to register or patent your game to the government dept dealing with this kind of thing. And luckily all you have to pay for it is around $10

And yes like Thunder said, even angry bird is not entirely "original" in idea. I played many catapult games like it years before it was even released ^^
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:57 pm

I don't think anyone here is a lawyer, so for the final answer you'd need to ask one. But AFAIK, at least in the UK, copyright is automatic and you don't even need to write anything in the game saying so nor apply to anyone.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:27 pm

Update: Ok, I got some legal advice that seems very good.

For example: Let's take ANGRY BIRDS.
Anyone can make "ANGRY KITTENS" or any other clone game, but nobody
can make another ANGRY BIRDS because

You can TRADEMARK your game logo and name.

You can script out your game like a screenplay and file for
copyright protection on that exact game play sequence of events.

You can trademark your game characters, like MARIO, or SONIC.

But, in the end, if you have a GREAT game that becomes popular, you will have clones. You really need to make sure your game is the BEST "BEFORE" you release it.

Also, I was told that filing for a patent only makes your ideas public before you can get them out to market and, there are ALOT of companies that have the resources to beat you to the market with a clone idea and have the money to advertise and, in effect, YOU become the CLONE of your OWN idea...

So, my advice is to keep it close to the vest until it KICKS BUTT..
Then trademark you characters, name, and logo, and get it out to market and make as big a splash as you can right away...

That's my plan..

By the way, if there is anyone who would like to collaborate on a new game idea, I need somebody with alot of experience in mobile games to help me get to market quickly..

I have a non-disclosure agreement to sign first, but, I am willing to split the game 50/50...
B

Post » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:09 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0XGYsTI5uk

Interesting video, touches on things here.
B
S

Post » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:03 pm

The basic message here is to look up the rules for your country, and then follow them. That is about it. Get advice from legal folks who know the rules for your region.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General