I agree with Shviller, that is why I posted a feature request for Grid Object.
I had inventory in mind as well as customizable tile maps or even compound sprites (containing different minor sprites such as body, clothing that you can change/recolor and eyes that you can change color of).
As for inventory, it has to have the following features:
- limited or unlimited (numbered slots to unlimited slots)
- stacking (multiple items of the same type in the same slot) - option (different for say armor, which shouldn't be stackable, and ammunition, which should stack).
- Put into inventory (at specific slot, at first free slot if there is no stackable of the type already)
- Get from inventory (by slot or type) - substract/destroy or do not destroy (do not destroy is very useful for toolbars)
- sorting (based on type, stacked amount, OID, expression etc.)
- move between slots (swap, stack or split stackables...)
- not necessary - varying item sizes (big armor would take more slots, etc., however that is merely a display thing; the space would be defined by size of grid and 3x4 object would occupy that much in 10x10 inventory space).
Leave the way of putting/getting to other behaviors (drag/drop, mouse click etc.) via events.