iOS Compatibility and Features [?]

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
  • Hi there,

I would like to buy Construct 2 (C2), but I'm a bit skeptical. Currently I work with the Game Maker Studio. Due some performance issues on iOS I'm looking for a new SDK.

1. Can I use all features of C2 on iOS Devices? Including WebGL, Shaders, etc.

2. To GameMaker-Developer: Do you miss a few functions which the program does not have?

Examples (C2 can also do?):

"Views" I use Views in Game Maker to Scale (zoom, shrink) something. But another View still 1:1.

Can I read website content? I have a php website and use HTTP functions to get data like Levels, etc.

Can I read and write customs text files?

Can I use arrays or lists?

Can I also write scripts? The Game Events by clicking are greate. But for a complex game I want to script.

• 1: Ios does not use webgl. No shaders.

2:You'll have to be more specific. C2 can do all of those things, with the caveat that there is no scripting except that done in the plugin sdk.

The free version... is free, and will give you a better idea of what it can do: https://www.scirra.com/construct2/relea ... 3/download

• Thx but the ios export only works on Personal and Business Version.

Too bad that C2 does not support shaders on ios. But can I use Canvas / Surfaces?

How extendable is C2? Can I use native ios plugins?

PS:

Is there are roadmap from the developers of C2? Planned features? For example 3D support and Shader on iOS etc?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • iOS export is currently handled by CocoonJS and the compatibility notes are here: https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/303/how-to-export-to-cocoonjs

Note CocoonJS does support WebGL, even on iOS.

• iOS export is currently handled by CocoonJS and the compatibility notes are here: https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/303/how-to-export-to-cocoonjs

You only have to provide a zip file with your source code to get your application running on iOS and Android. Remember that this file can't be larger than 30 MB.

Ashley - what's the solution for apps that are larger than 30Mb?

• I guess I should have said Safari works on the free version, but it does not use webgl.

As to Ios plugs, it would depend on the plug. Obviously anything that uses native code would have to go another route.

Also, 3d isn't really planned

• what are the long-term options for ios & c2?

clearly cocoon is not really the best option.

are there any other free & promising options in development like CrossWalk for android ?

• what are the long-term options for ios & c2?

clearly cocoon is not really the best option.

are there any other free & promising options in development like CrossWalk for android ?

Crosswalk is ok for android, but many have seen performance problems with it, up to 50%. When I tried it, my game was unplayable. And that is after a long optimization process to get it to work on CocoonJS (removing physics, moving code, reducing sprites, etc)

CocoonJS is the best solution I see so far, but it is left to be seen if they will keep developing it. They said they will release once a month, but that has turned out to be false. 2.0 is coming out soon, but who knows if that will have bug fixes or just new stuff.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)