IOS sound problems since iOS 9.2

Bugs will be moved here once resolved.

Post » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:22 pm

0Hayes wrote:I've found a fix, though it has a knock-on effect.

The fix: Export for cordova like you usually would. Now go into the media folder and what you want to do is replace the existing audio with 48khz (sample rate) versions. How I did this was I fed all my audio through https://online-audio-converter.com/ (to change the sample rate you'll have to open up advanced settings).

Now just build in the intel XDK, terminal or however you get it native on your iphone.

The knock-on effect: I've found that on the first play or after the first play in some time, the music just turns into a faint but high pitched buzz. Upon rebooting the app it will all work normally, but as you would imagine this still isn't ideal.

I have noticed that the "preload x" or "preloads complete" doesn't work on ios and I'm curious if this is something to do with it?

Any ideas or suggestions would be great!

So changing the sample rate to 48000khz fixed the audio problem but I had no sound on the FIRST run but anytime after I ran it the sound was fine. Why would it require the app to open and close one time before the sound would work and is there a work around for this like preload which doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks for discovering this @0Hayes - I wish Scirra would look into it a little harder.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:31 am

So changing the sample rate to 48000khz fixed the audio problem but I had no sound on the FIRST run but anytime after I ran it the sound was fine. Why would it require the app to open and close one time before the sound would work and is there a work around for this like preload which doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks for discovering this @0Hayes - I wish Scirra would look into it a little harder.

@mars1985 Yeah, issue I had. If you turn the volume all the way up on your phone, you should notice the buzzing. I'm going to try some different sample rates and see if the effect is any different. That way I'll be able to work out if it's because they all need to be the same sample rate, or if it's because they all need to be 48000khz.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else to try. Any suggestions or a word from @Ashley would be fantastic!
B
S

Post » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:40 pm

0Hayes wrote:I'm going to try some different sample rates and see if the effect is any different. That way I'll be able to work out if it's because they all need to be the same sample rate, or if it's because they all need to be 48000khz.

Tried as low as 8000khz and the old bug (distortion) persists. It does seem like the 48000khz option is the way forward.

Again, if anybody else is working on a fix please let us know what you've tried so were not all attempting the same things.
B
S

Post » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:31 pm

I could not reproduce this on an iPad Air 2 running iOS 9.2.1, after building the Cordova export with PhoneGap Build. Could somebody else affected try PhoneGap Build as well? Perhaps it's something about the Intel XDK that is causing this.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:57 pm

@ashley cheers for looking into it! Looks like it doesn't effect the iPad Air 2 (same response from one of my testers). I have however only tested on iPhone 6 myself. I'm not using the Intel XDK myself, never been a fan. I'm using the Cordova CLI (6).

I'll give phonegap a whirl my side on Monday but if anybody else has chance before then that would be great!
B
S

Post » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:18 am

@ashley test it on iPhone 6. Also watch this video and try to reproduce the same on your iPad Air 2: dropbox.com/s/zt692q1b2t7kx81/IMG_3112.MOV.mov?dl=0

@0Hayes This distortion bug is a very old problem with Cordova. Since iOS 8. I have tried many times to say about it on this forum, but no one cared. Because everybody used CocoonJs at that time.

I also tried to solve the problem in different ways (since iOS 8!!!). 8000khz, 48000khz, 16bit, 24bit, mono, stereo, short file, long file etc., etc. Nothing is solved the problem once and for all. I am very frustrated with this problem. It seems that nobody is interested in, even Scirra themselves.
B
S

Post » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:36 am

@FMFM oh god I know that sounds too well! Couldn't agree more, lets face it, music is a huge part of making a complete game. The only progress I've made on changing the audio to 48000khz is also putting the music in the sounds folder (in consteuct 2). All that does though is makes it always sound terrible.

Not a clue what to try now.
B
S

Post » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:06 am

@0Hayes indeed, music is a huge part of games! Like my old teacher of visual expression said "an image is a 50% of the total and a sounds/music the other 50%"

I think, we C2 users, can not do very much. It is the Scirra, Cordova, Intel XDK, Cocoon.io and Apple common problem. They should work together and find the solution for this. As always, Ashley does not want to deal with the export issues.. :) It is easier to say "this is the Intel XDK problem, go talk to them" "it's an iOS bug, not the C2. Solved and closed!" etc. :))))
B
S

Post » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:38 am

Very true. If this can't be fixed on constuct 2's side then I would appreciate it if this was moved to the how to section so we can continue to make some noise. Although it would be nice if we could have some suggestions on where to go or what to try.

I suppose this is the bain of making an engine for none programmers haha
B
S

Post » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:55 pm

@0Hayes and @FMFM I may have solved the problem related to no App Sound on the first run.

So this is my setup by the way.
iPhone 6 iOS 9.2.1
Construct 2
Cordova Export
Intel XDK

Export project from construct 2 via Cordova
Update the audio files in the export to be 48000Khz
*Update the config.xml file to include the following lines which seem to resolve the first run with no sound problem for me.

<preference name="AllowInlineMediaPlayback" value="true"/>
<preference name="MediaPlaybackRequiresUserAction" value="false"/>

**More information here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2676 ... onegap-app and https://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/late ... onfig.html

Possible there are additional tags that may solve other audio problems.

One problem that still remains is when you minimize the application you will lose all audio sound until you close the app completely and relaunch.

UPDATE: this seem liked it worked but I tried it again a few times and its not working. :\
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Closed bugs