Is a Community C Exporter Legal?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:21 pm

saiyadjin wrote:it's funny. you know what is funny?
wou will spend ~500h on some crappy work that noone will use, won't get you any money, won't be profitable in the end, and for what?

you could make 10 games in those 500h and earn some money instead.

point is: learn how to use your time for something productive, not to waste it onto something that won't gain anything for anyone.

That's just being rude, man.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:25 pm

chadorireborn wrote:@KTML5

You're going to need a team. Seriously, a team! You'll cry from the amount of work & fix that is needed to be done.
Or better use your time focusing on more important things, again don't waste your time. Think about this more clearly...
This is one decision you don't want to regret.

It's always much more appealing to work on projects that every tells you not to, though, isn't it? Adds a certain prohibitive edge to the whole thing :D

@KTML5 Fusion 3 will have native export to C, and the game files will be JSON source, so something for Construct would be worth LOOKING at, if nothing else. And they're doing 3D now :ugeek:
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:54 pm

I'm impressed with the one year time frame you give yourself. I wish I had that kind of patience for a project.
Choosing to do it in Construct is probably not the fastest method, but it makes for a challenge.

I know you already plan on supporting a subset of the plugins but I'd recommend only implementing only a subset of the engine's features, at least initially. The idea is to get something working early on so you can get motivation and/or a better picture of the work involved early on. This will lead to needing to refactor your code later as you add stuff, but you'll be doing that anyway if you tried to implement everything at once.

You may find it interesting that events aren't converted to javascript. They are run by the event engine which in turn runs the javascript in plugins and the engine, while it also updates the picked object lists.

Anyways I'm sure it will be very good coding practice no matter the result.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:43 pm

On second thought, if it is for the sake of learning then go for it. There is nothing wrong with learning. Every knowledge is useful.
But you have to ask yourself, "do i need this knowledge?". Good luck on your project.
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:15 am

@chadorireborn, Working on this as a hobby, not as a legitimate, full time project. I'm focused on developing my game right now, not on making this. You also have to consider the fact that making it a community project is essentially the same as forming a team, the difference being the fact that I'm not held liable, and nobody else working on it is.

Maybe if I had more money to spend, I'd hire programmers to work with on it. But, for now, it's simply just for fun.

@R0J0hound, Haha I definitely don't have a one year time frame! I'd have to put my game aside to do that, which wouldn't be practical in the long run, unless I made people pay for it. Which I wouldn't. :) I was simply saying that last year I'd posted about this topic, saying illogical things, not knowing what I was doing.

The features I plan on implementing will be on an as needed basis after the core engine is rewrote. Which means updates will be slow and inconvenient if I'm the only one making them. I'm hoping that people understand this and don't get so excited about it. I'm not making any promises as to it being feasibly useful. At least, though, it could serve as a starting point for the future of Construct, and my career as a programmer.

@Eisenhans, Reprogramming Construct 2 in C is the same as making my own engine, the difference being that the interface is already there.
Reprogramming Construct 2's javascript engine in C IS making a new engine. You can't just copy over Javascript into C. An exporter in Construct 2 does NOTHING aside from structuring the project properly for packaging with a specified tool, such as Intel XDK.

On my portfolio, it wouldn't read as "programmed an exporter", which really would be a waste of time, not because of feasability, but because of the reason you mentioned. It would read as something along the lines of "Reprogrammed C2's Javascript engine in C, for native compilation".

Also, you have to consider the importance of C as a language. Even thinking that this kind of thing could be simple shows the lack of knowledge required to do it, and if someone won't hire because of that kind of thinking, they don't know what they're looking for and most likely won't pay well. So, I'm not worried.

Additionally, the only limitations of using Construct 2 to do this is the fact that Construct 2 was made in Javascript. Though, Construct 2 has EVERY FEATURE any 2D game engine should have, and more. So, I wouldn't be limited by anything other than my own experience as a programmer.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:26 am

@Zebbi, wow...

Man... You probably shouldn't have told me that, I might not even take time to make a C exporter now, might just make a Fusion exporter.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:39 am

Welp, I trust what folks say but it's sooo interesting to see how it goes! Who knows, maybe against all odds this exporter's gonna be a godsend! I'm always all hands for new stuff!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:21 pm

I have to echo something of what saiyadjin said: Why do it?

C3 is coming-along sometime soon, which makes a C2-compatible exporter somewhat irrelevant in the coming months and years.

Personally, I'd look at doing a converter from HTML5 to SDL for native execution.
B
S

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:30 pm

KTML5 wrote:@Zebbi, wow...

Man... You probably shouldn't have told me that, I might not even take time to make a C exporter now, might just make a Fusion exporter.

I think new Fusion 3 will be running the games as close to C as it can get (instead of currently how it just embeds the runtime), so there shouldnt be any need when it comes out for additional exporters, C2 would on the hand benefit from some way of running the games similarly.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:01 pm

@Zebbi I meant I'd make an exporter to Fusion from C2, allowing C2 to take advantage of Fusion exporters.

As for everyone else replying to this thread, I'm not going to be answering anymore. My answers for your questions are as follows

Q. Why do it?
A. Because I can. It's good for my portfolio, and it's just for fun. I'm not making any promises, don't expect anything of it. I came here with a simple question, that question has been answered.

Q. Why, when C3 is coming out, would you make a C2 exporter?
A. I highly doubt that the XML project file structure will change much. It's incredibly unlikely, because the current project file structure is very solid and useful. I said that in my original post.

Q. Why would you waste your time if you don't see it going anywhere?
A. If you're going to sit here and tell me you don't have hobbies, you're lying through your teeth. Maybe you game in your free time. I program in mine.

Q. How would this make a good portfolio piece?
A. Because, it requires a complete rewrite of the Javascript engine powering Construct 2. That's a big feat, not one I will ever say I can accomplish, but one that would definitely look good on a resume, because it's essentially the same as writing one's game engine, the difference being that Construct 2 is the interface, and one I did not make.

Q. --
A. I've probably already answered your question. Read. -.-

Anyways, I've asked to get this thread removed because I'm done answering questions right now.
ImageImage
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General