Is ActionScript more powerful than Construct?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:29 pm

No I mean what is the highest thing it could handle for example particles system?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:02 pm

Yes, it can do particles, but you have to code your particle systems from scratch.

Basically you can program whatever you want in Flash, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to run well. The more complex your game visuals, the slower it will run. And it doesn't take much complexity to start bogging down.

Frankly, I'm surprised that Flash has become the standard that it is, and I wouldn't mind seeing it go away forever. I mean, who the hell thought it was a good idea to do vector graphics in a browser? Fundamentally it just doesn't make much sense to me.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:34 pm

It wasn't intended for games initially and still really isn't. So naturally, making a game in it is going to be inefficient.

As for vector, they chose that because it's smooth. Web stuff needs to be clean and vector provides that the easiest way.

Makes sense to me. People are just using Flash for more than simple intros and menus.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:41 pm

My point is that raster graphics take a lot less processing power than equally complex vector graphics, so that would make more sense for a web app, especially since everything else in your browser is raster anyway.

There is no commonly used web standard for vector images, for instance. Everything uses gif, jpg, or png.

Sure, they're not scalable in the same manner, but still.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:46 pm

Well I guess you could argue swf is the standard for vector hehe. I do see your point however.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:34 am

ActionScript is fine for making menu's on websites... but I would hardly consider it a valid game making tool.... 99.9% of flash games I have ever played SUCK.

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:06 am

To conclude, you can't compare the two.

ActionScript is certainly less powerful than Construct in simple terms, but the objectives the two serve are very different; if you want to make a short animation or simple online game, use Flash or Shockwave. If you want to make a desktop game which requires complex graphics, effects, or anything like that, you'll have to use something else.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:19 pm

The action script only allows for a single point 'hit test' so if you make a game in flash you tend to have to write your own collision system, or making a function which tests mutliple points..though some people have somehow written entire physics engines with action script.....

Anyway action script is script, and I think its based of C, so its harder to use but does give you more control. However constructs event system allows for loops, functions, and recursive functions, so its probably better ask the question is it easier to do a in actionscript or a in Construct
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic