Is Clickteam Fusion 2.5 worth buying on sale?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:18 am

It is currently on sale for 33.99. I just started using the free version of Construct 2 last week and have been enjoying it so far. I heard that Fusion 2.5 games perform better than CS2 games on iOS and Android devices. Is there any truth to this? I tried the free version and the UI does not seem as easy to use as CS2's. Is the sale price worth the buy? There seems to be a huge amount of notable games that were made with Fusion 2.5.
B
11
S
7
G
10
Posts: 19
Reputation: 6,167

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:19 am

Probably you can told that on the Clickteam Community.

I have used Fusion before, but the events system is really disappointing (it's per frame, not sheets)... So I ended up using Construct 2.
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

If you play Puyo Puyo games, you can meet me at the Puyo Puyo English Community Discord: https://discord.gg/0k41S8ARwvY2iTIQ
B
103
S
24
G
11
Posts: 696
Reputation: 12,896

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:43 am

The base product is on a decent sale but you'll probably want to the developer upgrade (and any number of runtimes) to get serious with making games.

Clickteam products aren't all that bad. After all, Construct (Classic) started as a product inspired by them, and Ashley used to make amazing plugins for their products under the company "Tigerworks" before starting Scirra.

It's just not as intuitive as Construct has become, some things feel really strange when you've used Construct enough (CC or C2 are both huge improvements editor-wise over TGF, MMF, MMF 2, MMF 2.5, and even MMF 3 looks like they're up to the same old tricks again).

However, I sorely miss the native runtimes/exporting of Click/CC
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
116
S
41
G
17
Posts: 2,204
Reputation: 19,545

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:51 am

Jayjay wrote:The base product is on a decent sale but you'll probably want to the developer upgrade (and any number of runtimes) to get serious with making games.

Clickteam products aren't all that bad. After all, Construct (Classic) started as a product inspired by them, and Ashley used to make amazing plugins for their products under the company "Tigerworks" before starting Scirra.

It's just not as intuitive as Construct has become, some things feel really strange when you've used Construct enough (CC or C2 are both huge improvements editor-wise over TGF, MMF, MMF 2, MMF 2.5, and even MMF 3 looks like they're up to the same old tricks again).

However, I sorely miss the native runtimes/exporting of Click/CC


Damn I just realized how expensive a developer upgrade with the mobile exporters would be. I think I'll just spend my money on a CS2 license. Also, is it true that Fusion 2.5 games perform better on mobile devices because of the exporters? My primary focus is for iOS and Android.
B
11
S
7
G
10
Posts: 19
Reputation: 6,167

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:28 am

it's not a bad engine. But

pros:
1. Works well on linux via wine
2. built in plugin manager that makes it easy to update and install plugins/new functionality

cons:
1. Really bad at code reusal - making its level editor crap
2. You have to buy more exporters - which are expensive
3. Very rarely updated
Last edited by blurymind on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
40
S
15
G
4
Posts: 426
Reputation: 5,843

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:45 pm

To answer your questions on performance: I have used both Construct and Fusion extensively and yes, if you want to make mobile games, Fusion is superior. The performance is just that much better, Construct can't compete at all. Not to mention how much easier it is when you export (Fusion exports a finished apk file, or a ready-to-go xCode project).
B
10
S
3
Posts: 63
Reputation: 776

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:07 pm

Xeeko wrote:(Fusion exports a finished apk file, or a ready-to-go xCode project).


Will Construct 3 or any future release have this feature, or will it always be handled via a third-party application like XDK or Cocoon?
B
25
S
12
G
11
Posts: 260
Reputation: 7,923

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:26 pm

Wouldn't bother with Fusion 2.5 now; Fusion 3 is being revealed this fall. As for the actual release, however...could still be a little while.
Image
B
243
S
30
G
13
Posts: 1,787
Reputation: 18,770

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:26 pm

Bleenx wrote:
Xeeko wrote:(Fusion exports a finished apk file, or a ready-to-go xCode project).


Will Construct 3 or any future release have this feature, or will it always be handled via a third-party application like XDK or Cocoon?


From what little we've been told its just an editor update, the same html5 runtime engine is being used, so it's likely to be the same mess when it comes to export unfortunately.
B
43
S
23
G
20
Posts: 735
Reputation: 12,027

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:23 pm

Ethan wrote:
Bleenx wrote:
Xeeko wrote:(Fusion exports a finished apk file, or a ready-to-go xCode project).


Will Construct 3 or any future release have this feature, or will it always be handled via a third-party application like XDK or Cocoon?


From what little we've been told its just an editor update, the same html5 runtime engine is being used, so it's likely to be the same mess when it comes to export unfortunately.


Rats! Thanks for the info. Godot's looking sweeter and sweeter by the day.
B
25
S
12
G
11
Posts: 260
Reputation: 7,923

Next

Return to Open Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests