Is Construct 2 ok for story driven games?

Just started using Construct 2? Post your questions here

Post » Thu May 14, 2015 9:13 pm

when I look around it seems that everybody is doing the same thing

a small mini game for on your phone, that is kind of empty
( I only looked into the arcade tough...)

yes I'm new c:
but I learn fast
Just wondering if there are example platformer games with a little bit of a story.
like, when you walk pas this guy speech bubbles happen and clues.
typical stuff
nothing to deep
but not just things like, objective: go from A to B, don't die. win.

Even if that is not really a thing that happens, another question, can you make the game be a pop up window?
every time I preview my small test game it goes full screen on the browser, id like it to stay the original size and not re-size it
a pop up window would probably be good for that.
B

Post » Fri May 15, 2015 10:39 am

The limits of what you can achieve with Construct 2 are up to you. What you describe is perfectly possible, maybe you will be the first around here to make a strongly story driven platformer. Go on, do it, and when you're done, tell us about it, I personally would be happy to play your game.

"can you make the game be a pop up window?"
This is not something you do in construct 2, you need to use the javascript function "open" or something similar.

http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/met_win_open.asp

Construct 2 exports the game as an HTML5 web page, you can do to your game anything that can be done to a normal website using php, asp.net, html, javascript and css. Of course you need to know a little bit about web development, there are plenty of tutorials for that, just google it.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 15, 2015 12:36 pm

proofme wrote:every time I preview my small test game it goes full screen on the browser, id like it to stay the original size and not re-size it

Project property Fullscreen in browser.
You learn fast ? So start by reading the whole manual as it contains everything related to C2.

Currently the available arcade is a beta version that contain the 150 games that were uploaded during the last 3 weeks.
It is far from representing everything that can be done with Construct 2.

Simply check the showcase and you should be surprised by what can be achieved.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 15, 2015 1:31 pm

proofme wrote:when I look around it seems that everybody is doing the same thing

a small mini game for on your phone, that is kind of empty
( I only looked into the arcade tough...)

You should check out this Steam Greenlight Collection of Construct 2 Games - lot's of people are making different types of complex games, including platformers.

A lot of these games have been Greenlit and many have been released which is an exciting prospect for any indie developer looking to use Construct 2.
Vote for all the Construct 2 games on Steam Greenlight - Find them here
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 17, 2015 12:07 pm

Construct 2 only depend on how you program it or depend on your know how of designing game or any software. Therefore C2 has no limits far as I can see
B
S
G

Return to Beginner's Questions