Is Construct 2 ok for story driven games?

Just started using Construct 2? Post your questions here

Post » Thu May 14, 2015 9:13 pm

when I look around it seems that everybody is doing the same thing

a small mini game for on your phone, that is kind of empty
( I only looked into the arcade tough...)

yes I'm new c:
but I learn fast
Just wondering if there are example platformer games with a little bit of a story.
like, when you walk pas this guy speech bubbles happen and clues.
typical stuff
nothing to deep
but not just things like, objective: go from A to B, don't die. win.

Even if that is not really a thing that happens, another question, can you make the game be a pop up window?
every time I preview my small test game it goes full screen on the browser, id like it to stay the original size and not re-size it
a pop up window would probably be good for that.
B

Post » Fri May 15, 2015 10:39 am

The limits of what you can achieve with Construct 2 are up to you. What you describe is perfectly possible, maybe you will be the first around here to make a strongly story driven platformer. Go on, do it, and when you're done, tell us about it, I personally would be happy to play your game.

"can you make the game be a pop up window?"
This is not something you do in construct 2, you need to use the javascript function "open" or something similar.

http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/met_win_open.asp

Construct 2 exports the game as an HTML5 web page, you can do to your game anything that can be done to a normal website using php, asp.net, html, javascript and css. Of course you need to know a little bit about web development, there are plenty of tutorials for that, just google it.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 15, 2015 12:36 pm

proofme wrote:every time I preview my small test game it goes full screen on the browser, id like it to stay the original size and not re-size it

Project property Fullscreen in browser.
You learn fast ? So start by reading the whole manual as it contains everything related to C2.

Currently the available arcade is a beta version that contain the 150 games that were uploaded during the last 3 weeks.
It is far from representing everything that can be done with Construct 2.

Simply check the showcase and you should be surprised by what can be achieved.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 15, 2015 1:31 pm

proofme wrote:when I look around it seems that everybody is doing the same thing

a small mini game for on your phone, that is kind of empty
( I only looked into the arcade tough...)

You should check out this Steam Greenlight Collection of Construct 2 Games - lot's of people are making different types of complex games, including platformers.

A lot of these games have been Greenlit and many have been released which is an exciting prospect for any indie developer looking to use Construct 2.
Find all the Construct 2 games that were on Steam Greenlight here
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 17, 2015 12:07 pm

Construct 2 only depend on how you program it or depend on your know how of designing game or any software. Therefore C2 has no limits far as I can see
B
S
G

Return to Beginner's Questions