Is Construct capable of 3D backgrounds?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:44 pm

That would be Killer Instinct style backgrounds.

Sadly, the video functions that DirectX provides always overlay everything, as they take a different rendering path.
I believe that there is some way to render a video frame to a texture, then that texture could be used in a Construct scene.... but yeah, that'd be some work to implement.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:19 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsg05SLrHQA

my brothers (davioware) game made in construct uses sprites with z distortion (makes it 3D) to create a 3d background. although much more simplistic than that in the video, it still proves that its possible to do, and this wasnt very hard to put toghether either.

technically you could make anything but the more complex, the harder it gets because you need to start figuring out transformation math and stuff like that. which ive done, and to do it you really need to know what youre doing.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:44 pm

Being somewhat of an open source program wouldnt there be a way to add some functions trough add-ons or plugins? The only thing that bothers me is that the FPS engine doesnt seem to have fog which helps with avoiding pop-up with the 3D graphics.
B
G

Post » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:13 am

fog isnt difficult to implement, just adjust opacity or filter settings based on Z height of each box id imagine
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:21 am

[quote="QuaziGNRLnose":24kv9uik]fog isnt difficult to implement, just adjust opacity or filter settings based on Z height of each box id imagine[/quote:24kv9uik]

Wouldn't that color the whole box instead of making a gradient-like effect depending on how close the 'camera' is?
B
G

Post » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:56 am

I don't think Construct has any draw distance functionality for the 3D box anyway, so things popping like that shouldn't be a problem.

But you could probably make your own fog by setting up several concentric skyboxes, all plain gray, and all semi-transparent, with the outermost box solid gray.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:45 pm

[quote="FancySamantha":w67zsyky][quote="QuaziGNRLnose":w67zsyky]fog isnt difficult to implement, just adjust opacity or filter settings based on Z height of each box id imagine[/quote:w67zsyky]

Wouldn't that color the whole box instead of making a gradient-like effect depending on how close the 'camera' is?[/quote:w67zsyky]

yea but thats the simplest way, you would only do it to very far out boxes anyways so i don't think it would be noticeable. having the effect applied to close ones would look ugly tho, but im assuming you just want it so that you have draw distance with a smooth buffer instead of boxes popping in when you hide/unhide them.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:49 am

Yeah, I'm looking to implement Touhou-style backgrounds as well.

What I think I'll do is bunch several 3D boxes around in a clever fashion to emulate it as well as I can.
I worked on a project a while back where you have to navigate a circle(physics) through a 3D maze.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct Classic Discussion