Is English not your native language?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:08 pm

I'm from Brazil, whose native language are portuguese.
I understand english very well, but have trouble to speak and write a more complex text.
I use google to search words or expressions that i don't understand.

And yes english is nowadays the "world native language", and this starts after the Second World War, USA becomes the more powerful nation on the world and everyone "suffer" from it's influences, it's the "American way of life".
Here in Brazil, every job that is not a "poor job" says that is mandatory to know English.

I don't have a problem with this, on the contrary, i think that's really important for the internet, with a "world native language" everyone can communicate with each other, it's good for the market and it's good to pass information, so it's good for everyone.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:24 pm

I'm from Brazil too. I consider myself almost fluent in english. I just hesitate a little in the speaking since i don't have much practice. But i'm perfectly comfortable in reading and writing since i read a LOT. My favorites are the heavy fantasy tomes with more than a thousand pages like A Song of Ice and Fire series, LOTR and similar. And the writing i've learned by chating with other people in games, writing in forums :D etc. So my teacher is the Internet, pretty much. English is absolutely essential, even more for IT people. Basically i would be hopeless if i didn't know it. Apart from English i know a little of Japanese and learning French too.Kiyoshi2011-12-21 22:25:07
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:30 am

Hi,

My primary language is portuguese, to be more specific (brazilian-portuguese) its kind different if it comparable with "original" portuguese.

Sometimes I get in trouble about some words, I thinks its pretty normal cause my native language is not english.

But I dont consider myself fluent, however I can understand very good. English for me is not a wall, or a problem.
B
G

Post » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:45 am

@Kiyoshi: Bonne chance, ce n'est pas facile.
The same for japanese, but I don't know how to say/write it ^^
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:56 am

Eheheh Japanase i can't only read a little. Can't write much :D About French i'm just starting , know almost nothing :) But i understood what you've said :D Well it's more similar to Portuguese than English so it can't be that hard ^_^' Can it ? :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:24 am

There's the latin root that indeed make it so that you should find some ressemblances between french and portuguese.
French has some tricky grammar rules though, that makes it quite tedious/hard, even for french people to write a correct french.

Nevertheless you can learn it and get understood anyway so in the end I guess it's the more important.

Image Image
Image Image

B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:01 am

My native language is Basque, Euskara in basque. But here I speak basque with some people and spanish with others. I life 5 minutes walking from the border with france so hear much french too, but I can not speak it. I usually try to post by myself and sometimes use Google translator, to help me and learn more. So english is my third language.
more info here :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_languageAritz2011-12-22 11:04:00
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:37 am

@Aritz: we don't live very far from each other. I live about 300 kms from the basque region.
I went to San Sebastian to see iron maiden and rammstein play live concerts.
Crazy intense audience

Image Image
Image Image

B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:22 pm

@Kyatric: I saw Rammstein too
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:39 pm

Hi, I'm Spanish. I can understand english, but my english fluency when writing/speaking is poor.
I use to use Spanish when writing games, because I'm a teacher and I know that most teenagers here in Spain have a low level of english (even when they get more english classes than I got at their age).

But I know everyone likes games in english, because it is the current international standard language. I would be disappointed if I found a nice game in russian or japonese, and I understand a japanese or russian would be also disappointed to find a game in Spanish.

Having a localization/translation engine compatible with Construct 2 would be great! Until then, I'll have to make two versions of everything.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic