Is HTML5 failed to fulfill the promises?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:35 am

Hello, and welcome to the Internet.
Would any of you be interested in buying a bridge?newt2012-10-14 07:35:54
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:36 am

Well, he made money by using HTML5, not by using C2. Thats a big difference.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:28 am

I used GameMaker to make my HTML5 games but that doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure you guys will be the last ones to say C2 can't make a game as good as GM can, so really there is no difference.True Valhalla2012-10-14 09:25:58
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:41 am

[QUOTE=01lifeleft] Well, he made money by using HTML5, not by using C2. Thats a big difference.[/QUOTE]

Not big difference.

[QUOTE=True Valhalla]

Oh, and FYI, it's over $4000 from that game now. The reason I throw out these stats is not to boast, but to show that I do have the experience behind what I'm saying.

Just because you don't believe it, that doesn't make it false. I have no reason to lie, and I have no reason to prove it to you either.[/QUOTE]

Ok, but why would you promote about your book here to anyone who needs help to get their first profit while they wouldnt to spend any stuffs becasue they have no job?

I would like if you care to share your experiences and a little advice how you got the profit.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:57 am

[QUOTE=Joannesalfa]Ok, but why would you promote about your book here to anyone who needs help to get their first profit while they wouldnt to spend any stuffs becasue they have no job? [/QUOTE]

I don't know how many times I need to say it, but I'm not here to promote my book. If it sells a few copies from me posting here, great. If not, doesn't matter. This is a very small forum.

The reason I'm here is to learn about Construct and the community, because I'm writing an in-depth post on my blog to promote C2.

I figured it couldn't hurt to get an impression of the community and the product.

[QUOTE=Joannesalfa]
I would like if you care to share your experiences and a little advice how you got the profit.[/QUOTE]

On the last page when I tried to help someone else you shot me down, so I think I'll save my advice for people that might appreciate it. Said people, please feel free to PM me.

On topic: does anyone have any specific concerns about HTML5 that they would like addressed?True Valhalla2012-10-14 09:33:30
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:37 pm

[QUOTE=True Valhalla] I don't know how many times I need to say it, but I'm not here to promote my book. If it sells a few copies from me posting here, great. If not, doesn't matter. This is a very small forum.[/QUOTE]

Hi, four things:

I. Your book may be too expensive. USD19.99 should have at least 200 pages.

2. If you write review of Construct 2 on your blog in the future, please also write detailed reviews of other similar tools on your website. ( GM, Stencyl, GameSalad, Multimedia Fusion and Game Editor.) Your readers should want to know more about different tools. Your professional comments will help your readers.

3. Many websites only accept Flash games but still don't accept HTML5 game. Why? What is the actual reason? As a result, it is very diffcult to make money with HTML5 games. Do you agree? I hope to read your professional opinions..!

4. About your September income report:
http://www.truevalhalla.com/blog/?p=359
I am glad that you share your detailed income report with us. However, the report doesn't show any sale figure of game for Windows platform. Do you abandon Windows platform? Why?
BoyHK2012-10-14 21:57:29
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:27 pm

[QUOTE=True Valhalla]I'm pretty sure you guys will be the last ones to say C2 can't make a game as good as GM can, so really there is no difference.[/QUOTE]
Touche.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:29 am

[QUOTE=BoyHK]
I. Your book may be too expensive. USD19.99 should have at least 200 pages. [/QUOTE]

The book is doing well in sales. The reason it is priced like this is because the people buying it know the information provided is not common, and a $20 investment is nothing compared to the type of money this book teaches them how to make.

I believe I've chosen an appropriate price tier and will not be changing it. Given that this is a niche topic, it would not be economically feasible to write a 200 page book about this topic and then only charge $20.

[QUOTE=BoyHK]
2. If you write review of Construct 2 on your blog in the future, please also write detailed reviews of other similar tools on your website. ( GM, Stencyl, GameSalad, Multimedia Fusion and Game Editor.) Your readers should want to know more about different tools. Your professional comments will help your readers. [/QUOTE]

I plan to. I was going to write a post comparing 3 game dev engines, but after contacting the ones I wanted to write about and requesting a copy of the engine to giveaway to readers, only YoYo Games and Scirra did so.

Therefore, I'm writing an in-depth post for both and giving away a copy of both engines. I have well and truly enough GameMaker experience, but I don't know much about Construct 2 (yet) so that's why I'm here.

[QUOTE=BoyHK]
3. Many websites only accept Flash games but still don't accept HTML5 game. Why? What is the actual reason? As a result, it is very diffcult to make money with HTML5 games. Do you agree? I hope to read your professional opinions..![/QUOTE]

HTML5 is still quite a new technology, and most of these Flash portals have been solely focused on their desktop audience for years and years. Now, mobile has made it's massive entrance but many Flash portals choose to neglect it still.

But, the few Flash portals and other mobile gaming companies that realize the power of the mobile web are taking a step forward quicker than others. It's when you find these companies that the money is made, and they are willing to pay a lot for HTML5 given how rare the content is currently.

In the future when more Flash portals begin to make the transition, we'll see a massive demand for HTML5 and I believe the HTML5 market will eventually mirror the Flash market quite closely.

Do I agree that it's hard to make money with HTML5? Not entirely. Getting started is the hard part. Once you're in, it's a gold mine that requires little effort. The problem when I started was there was no information on how to get started so I had to teach myself everything. Many months later, I now have the experience to provide my book to those who wish to do the same.

[QUOTE=BoyHK]
4. About your September income report:
http://www.truevalhalla.com/blog/?p=359
I am glad that you share your detailed income report with us. However, the report doesn't show any sale figure of game for Windows platform. Do you abandon Windows platform? Why?
[/QUOTE]

Myriad Online is my only Windows game that I've ever monetized, and you'll see it made $200+ last month. This is my dream project which I'll be working on for many years to come, but beyond that I don't see Windows as an appealing platform currently.

I could be making an incredible desktop game and try and get it on Steam, but this would take a lot of time and effort and may not even pay off. Or, I can make simple HTML5 games and iOS/Android apps and make guaranteed money...it might not be as glamorous as making "one big hit" but it pays my bills. Since I do this for a living, paying the bills is more important than getting famous with one big hit on desktop.

Thanks for your questions. I hope this reply helped :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:03 pm

True Valhalla,

WOW! I really learn a lot from your answers.! Thanks!
BoyHK2012-10-15 15:03:57
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:38 pm

@newt : You mean a REAL bridge ? On which people can walk ? No way it can exists ! People walk too slowly, the whole bridge will refresh before people are going to go to the other side, and they'll fall !

@True Valhalla : I spent some time reading all your blog and the info you provide are intersting. I think that the problem here is that eveybody isn't over 18 or 20 (depending on the country), or not even from a western country, so $20 can seem a bit costly. But since trusted publisher are hard to find, for somebody working in that field, the intel cost that price. And if you set a too low price, people are going to associate it with content not valuable enough.

One of my current gripe with HTML5 is the lack of easy possibility to execute native binary code, when you now you are on a trusted environment. That would help to create application mixing HTML5 for GUI and native code for heavy tasks on desktop. There are some possibilities, but nothing straightforward...
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic