Is it possible to create a game like prince of persia?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:47 pm

Hello

I'm new to construct2 and I'm wondering if its possible to make a game like Prince of Persia 2D, the first DOS version?

Thanks for any answer

Josef
B

Post » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:12 pm

It maybe hard ! But not impossible :) and You will have to commit yourself fully with time and resources. If You have a bunch of guys to do it, then Go for it.
B
S

Post » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:15 pm

Yes, a game like that wouldn't even be a stretch for the engine. You'd, of course, have to produce all the assets and events, but it doesn't seem like anything even close to outside the scope of C2's capabilities.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:21 pm

PoP was my first game I ever played on PC and still love it. I would love to give it a try, AFTER learning the basics...
B

Post » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:10 am

Sure can! I'm actually working on one such game right now! :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:37 am

Oh Elias, I'm far away from beeing able to make it NOW. But I will try...
It would be nice if I could play your game some day...😄😄😄
B

Post » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:51 am

It was surprisingly easier than I imagined it to be. Since it's all tilebased (the movement as well) it's really easy to predict the position of pretty much every object in the game at all times and that allows for clever level and puzzle design because you have full control, even specifics such as where the player is positioned at any time.

Possibly someday I will release a small demo but as for the near future there's lots of work to be done still. :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:56 am

SenJos wrote:Hello

I'm new to construct2 and I'm wondering if its possible to make a game like Prince of Persia 2D, the first DOS version?

Thanks for any answer

Josef

Definitely! Construct 2 is made for such games! ;)
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:09 pm

I love classic Prince of Persia too! ;)

One of the feature of that game, which is rarely seen in most 2D platformers, is how the prince moves when you control him: It has realistic "human-like" animations & has momentum to his running, stopping or turning around etc.
The hard part is how to make all animations "flow" fluidly through your controlling.

With C2's event sheet, I think it's possible to make one. But it needs many animation sprites for every subtle movements, and of course tons of 'events' to make those work.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:49 pm

200+ sprites did the original PoP use for the prince, and 23 sprites for any guardian. 8 Guardians and the Jaffar. For the scelleton I don't know. Haven't found the Sprites for it :-D With the Spritesheets and Spriter it's not that hard to make all the sprites.

The tons of events, yeah, I even can't imagine how to start with all that events :-D Long way to learn C2 first.
B

Next

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas