Is it possible to create a game like prince of persia?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:08 am

@Allen Since almost all cinematic platformers are grid-based. You lock animations within the timeframe of one step, or of any other motion you want the player to perform. That said it's pretty easy to build you animation system around that idea, whether is climbing, running, crouching, throwing etc. Another important thing is that all animations end on an Idle frame, else it gets a bit jerky.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:17 pm

First, watch how Prince of Persia was made: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014634/Cl ... -PRINCE-OF

Then, translate that knowledge into Construct 2. It's doable, but it's extremely hard.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:36 pm

SenJos wrote:200+ sprites did the original PoP use for the prince, and 23 sprites for any guardian. 8 Guardians and the Jaffar. For the scelleton I don't know. Haven't found the Sprites for it :-D With the Spritesheets and Spriter it's not that hard to make all the sprites.

The tons of events, yeah, I even can't imagine how to start with all that events :-D Long way to learn C2 first.

if you have the art its easy to program , cause you know how things should look and how they should interacting, its harder to program a game when you have no graphics and have to squueze your brainz out for"i think i remember looking like this" .... happens alot of time even if you have part of animations/sprites/ or engine blocks to play with... the thing is if u dont have ALL sprites dont bother starting programming a game u want to finish... cause its not gonna be finished because u wont know how will look.... so the programming , graphics, audio, stroy etc its all related .. its ok if u have skills in all those areas but u should focus on wich u like and love and maybe find some friends to team up:D the best advice i can give u right now... im a solo dev, doing art,graphic,programming(mostly from tutorials since i dont have no programming school or training outside construct 2 and some similar engines.),about audio i can doodle around and maybe export a wav format out of a mp3 and viceversa but not all the time...

hope your game is gonna be ready soon... dont lose hope ... if u choose doing it yourself and u are young.. you have time ... alot learn now.. dont worry about money... if u arent young anymore then... its kinda hard to do this while u have a dayjob... requires alot of time... seen people selling their homes for it ...
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:49 pm

It is possible. And it's not that hard or difficult. But it requires quite a lot animations and setups.
This is a small part based on my very old project, which was unfortunately dropped because guy responsible for all sprite animations stopped answering to my email without any reason... Yeah don't know why but in game development people I only had problem with were always graphic designers/animators - quite few of them :/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:32 pm

@shinkan That's nice sample you have there, good & snappy
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:37 pm

It's old. It's messy. And out of date. But served it's purpose good ;)
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:03 am

@shinkan nice sample ;)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:09 pm

I'm currently rewriting my engine after stumblinng upon a few problems but anyways.

My biggest flaw was that the engine didn't check for trigger points before performing actions, so for example when you stepped forward, the game would not check if there's even a surface next to you, but instead would check what kind of surface is below you after you've moved. This proved to be a very stupid way to do things when I wanted to implement pits and ledges. As the project went on I had to do some crazy workarounds that would produce countless bugs. Oh well. Lesson learned.

Good thing I now have a grasp on how the engine is supposed to handle stuff so rewriting it has been very smooth thus far. I might actually put up a .capx for it later for people to see how I personally did it. Maybe.. We'll see.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:37 am

shinkan wrote:It is possible. And it's not that hard or difficult. But it requires quite a lot animations and setups.
This is a small part based on my very old project, which was unfortunately dropped because guy responsible for all sprite animations stopped answering to my email without any reason... Yeah don't know why but in game development people I only had problem with were always graphic designers/animators - quite few of them :/

Hehe, me too.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:07 pm

Keep us updated on your progress. I was thinking of making something similar as well. Prince of Persia, Flashback, Another World, are some of my favorite games.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas