Is it possible to make a game like 'A Dark Room' in C2?

Just started using Construct 2? Post your questions here

Post » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:31 am

Would it be possible to make a game like 'A Dark Room' in Construct 2?

I think this kind of game is called an 'incremental game' or 'idle game'. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incremental_game)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:51 am

Does no one have any thoughts on this? I'm not after a step by step walk through or anything, just thoughts on whether it would be possible, and what a general approach might be.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:35 pm

I hadn't heard of the game before. Just had a look at it, very innovative. My initial thought is sure it could be done, why not? I think it would be easier in traditional languages though.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:49 am

Yes it's a very cool game. Very imaginative and kind of deep and evocative.

The original version was made for web, I'm not sure what the original was coded or developed in. Then it was ported to mobile by another guy.

My problem is I don't know how to program, so even if it would be easier to make in traditional languages I still need to look to a program like C2.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:54 am

I can't see why it couldn't be done in C2. I actually played it for a while. I haven't decided whether it's just a standard resource/priority handling game that is presented a bit differently, or something else. Maybe I haven't hit the 'aha' point in the game yet. I'm curious why you chose this type of game to try and emulate. I am intrgued though :)

Edit: in summary, yes it could be done.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:08 am

I just found it so deep and intriguing. It taps into something primal in the psych. Compared to so many other games that I play on PC and mobile, many of which are just time killers or provide some short lived entertainment, I found A Dark Room to be really... I don't know how to describe it exactly, but it resonated with me. I found it to be melancholy, dark, sinister, thought provoking, fun and sad all at once.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion once u play it through codah. It's actually quite a short game, maybe 4-5hrs I think.

So yeah. The developer has made the code for the game open source.. You can go and download it but I have no idea where to start to modify it and change it into my own game.

I have ideas for an adaptation though in terms of themes and variations to game play.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:21 am

I read up on the game. The developer contacted the original game author and asked if he could write a version for mobile. Apparently it made quite a bit of money but he has no intentions of going into full time game making.

I'll go check out the code.

I will say though, that I go way back with gaming (like, text only games) and it's not often I play something and think 'oh, ok that's different'.

I have the game on the go and I'll try and see it through to the end and report back :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:40 am

Ok codah. Yes from what I have read the original web based version had a following and the mobile version was highly regarded as well. I'm not sure how much $ it generated but from what I can tell most people who play it are drawn in / impressed by it.

I haven't played many text based games so it was a pretty new thing for me. And it was quite a revelation that such a visually minimalist game could draw me in so thoroughly! Normally I'm a very visual person.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:14 am

Had a play just for fun :) click below
A very quick 'A Dark Room' prototype

Edit: BTW I didn't spend too long looking at the original's code as it's javascript
Last edited by codah on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:33 am

ok so what's that link exactly codah? You took the source code and put it into a webpage? Just to test it, is that right?
B
S
G

Next

Return to Beginner's Questions