Is it possible to make a game like Terraria ?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:39 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the biggest problem would be the inability to control the number of draw calls. Which doesn't matter for any game type except this one.

Let's say for example; You have a map with 100,000 tiles. Since you're at the very top of the map, only 50 tiles are showing. No problem, Construct only draws the 50 tiles that are showing but doesn't draw the remaining 99,950 tiles that are outside the visible screen.

The problem is, Construct has to loop through all 100,000 tiles to determine if they're in the visible screen and looping through 100,000 tiles each tick is expensive.

Being able to control the draw calls mean you can limit the check loop to only loop through the maximum number of instances visibly possible on the screen at any given time.

Is my thinking correct here?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:09 pm

Yes, that's the real issue. This is what Jase00 was alluding to. The issue isn't whether this can be done in C2, but whether the developer has the skill set to program the custom behaviour of shifting a set of tiles around, based on an internal data structure (array), and how many actually need to be created to fill the screen at any given time.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:30 pm

When you say "program the custom behaviour", do you mean using the Javascript SDK? or staying withing the confines of the Construct 2 IDE.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:00 pm

@David Flook , For drawing correct tiles, I think if you do a "For" action and start it at "ViewportLeft" to "ViewportRight", and another loop for "Viewport Top" to "Viewport Bottom", you can then only load the necessary tiles from the array. The rest of the world wouldn't be drawn until you walk along into it (Which might make enemies/collision glitches happen). The entire world would all be stored inside the Array. There's a lot to think about lol.Jase002013-07-20 21:02:02
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:57 pm

Oh so you want to make Terraria hey?

Steps:
1)Copy the game
2)??????
3)Look at your poor re-creation of a multi-million (check that) software.

Try and do something original... not just an upfront copy. Why did Terraria get the big bucks? Because it was original...

Now, most new ideas (universally, not just in technology,) new IP are bits grabbed from here and there but actually re-designed and genuinely fresh ideas.

Why should a consumer buy your knock off Rolex watch, which doesn't work well, for (take the price down a bit) $40 when he could just save for $90 and get the real deal?

Hm. But anyway, just use the forum to look for randomly generated ground and digging tutorials from the FAQ, which is pretty easy to find if you were to look and not get completely spoonfed.

Sulli out.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:01 pm

There is also quadtree method (see wikipedia entry). Of course, there are many ways to skin a cat.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:04 pm

Well from what I've gathered you still can't do real-time online multiplayer with C2 so why bother? Single-player Minecraft and Terraria is extremely...dull.

And Sulli, if everyone thought like that there wouldn't be any more games. Terraria itself is more or less a ripoff of Minecraft.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:09 pm

@jayjaymozza

you can go to the "cortex command" side of digging axpect of game (by that i'm saying less tiles/screen as possible) or a simplified digging game so you can wet you feet and feel if this gonna work or not.

i really dont kno how construct 2 can handle this kind of effect, but i remember quite well that someone posted a tutorial of terrain destruction with costruct classic using the mouse plugin and making a erase effect that look like it is deforming the terrain.

the first thing you need to focus is how to build the "simple" systems: terrain destruction, character movements, building system, types of tiles...
then you make the jump for the random terrain creation so you can experiment wich way is better for the gameplay and performance.

performance in this kind of games are very tricky, but if you really want to make a digging game using construct 2, try to build a very simple one first and then when the basic systems are done you can keep growing the game scale while keeping the good performance.

Eventually by the time your project hit the "playable" state, this performance issues will be easyer to solve, probably future features will be add on the construct 2 and maybe help you improve the game.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:01 pm

@valdarko

Why have you responded to a 2 year old thread, and to a person who hasn't been on the forum for 2 years?
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:46 pm

@zenox98

You should be asking yourself that question.

Valdarko's reply is 2 years old - Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:09 pm
Find all the Construct 2 games that were on Steam Greenlight here
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General