Is there a benefit if I make multiple tilemap vs a big one

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:12 am

I have a topdown shooter game. I have a large map. Is there a benefit if I make multiple tilemaps and preload them on demand based on player coordinates, or is it ok to just make one large tilemap. Would there be performance improvements? Thanks.
sleep is only for the weak!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:32 am

Layout or tilemap size does not affect performance but the amount of objects in a layout may. Also note that sizes above a certain widthxheight for tilemaps may not be supported on all systems, as given with the popup warning from importing if they are too large.
Zelda Gamekit (my project)

Example capxs:

Zelda-Style Inventory

Zelda Health

3-saveslot system

[url=https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4396pwak0oh7q6/ZeldaDialogueSystem.capx?dl=0]Zelda-like Dialogue[
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:55 am

LaDestitute wrote:Layout or tilemap size does not affect performance but the amount of objects in a layout may. Also note that sizes above a certain widthxheight for tilemaps may not be supported on all systems, as given with the popup warning from importing if they are too large.

Thanks. Do you know the acceptable width and height for tilemaps? So it is recommended to have a big tilemap since it only counts as 1 object?
sleep is only for the weak!
B
S
G

Return to How do I....?