Is there a limit to simultaneous input?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Total customisation of the input! You can combine inputs from all peripherals. Make your game accessible for everyone!
  • What I mean is, can Construct only accept a certain number of buttons being pressed at once?

My platform game has an action that requires you to be holding Shift, Left Arrow, and Up arrow. If you do it in the air, and you're still holding the Space key from jumping, it won't work -- is that because you're holding too many buttons at once? Same thing happens if you're holding all three on the ground and try to jump then -- you simply don't jump.

Maybe it's a completely different problem, since the first move seems to work fine when holding Shift/Up and Right instead of Left, and you can jump while running to the left and holding all three buttons.

In other words, I have no idea what's going on.

• I think it depends on your keyboard and how many buttons it allows pressed at once.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Most keyboards can't accept more than 3 buttons at once. Mine is weird, i can press 3 buttons + left, but not 3 buttons + right. Try holding 4 buttons at a time, you will probably hear a beep sound

There was once a game I was playing, where right(or left) + down + attack would shot downwards diagonaly, but it would only work to the right because of my keyboard being a douche. Man that was annoying!

• alastair is right. How many buttons you can press depends pretty much on how your keyboards circuitboard is laid out. This is why a lot of people use X,Y or A,S as their action buttons since those keys normally are not on the same lockout circuit as the arrow keys, unlike shift, ctrl and space.

• Yeah, you can test itby opening anything let's you type text, andbegin holding keys one by one, until the key you press doesn't show up on screen

• Alright, I understand it now. Thanks for explaining it to me.

alastair is right. How many buttons you can press depends pretty much on how your keyboards circuitboard is laid out. This is why a lot of people use X,Y or A,S as their action buttons since those keys normally are not on the same lockout circuit as the arrow keys, unlike shift, ctrl and space.

Never woulda guessed! I'll start working on swapping out controls for those ones, then. Hopefully that'll sort it out.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)