Is Using Large Layouts Viable?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:13 am

@Ashley - I know for a fact is was before collision cells were added, so I'm sure that'll help immensely.

@Colludium - I didn't think it did either, but just wanted to be sure.

@C-7 - thanks - that's really good to know, actually!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:20 am

Also layers can enable "render cells", that might be useful for large layouts too.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:51 am

So basically there is no limit in layout size, if I handle assets via offscreen-turnoff?
Just wondering, because I thought about some Bear Grills escape from wilderness game a few weeks ago.
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:55 am

@Beaverlicious - seems that way. Although one thing to note about construct (might be html, not sure) is that when you create more objects that take up memory, destroying them does nothing to your memory pool until you leave the layout. So if you base everything on a single level, everything you have contained in the level AS WELL as everything you create will be permanently added to the memory pool.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:42 am

@ome6a1717

I was thinking something along the line of :

for each ordered (ascending)
expression : distance^2 , i.e. (x1-x2)*(x1-x2) + (y1-y2)*(y1-y2)
using "Stop loop" as soon as the loop entity is beyond a threshold distance (meaning all other entities after the one in the current iteration are also beyond that value, since the loop is ordered)

I'm not sure you actually gain anything, but at least you rely on the built-in sorting of the "for each ordered", which is likely to be a quick-sort of some kind, and would be faster that using distance() on ALL the entities

You can also run that at a capped framerate below the actual fps, a few hertz would be sufficient to enable/disable entities
Game Producer & Independent Developer - http://raphaelgervaise.com
B
S

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General