Is WebGL slow on some machines ?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:37 pm

@Ashley
It is still Firefox I'm using.

Mozilla Firefox release 16.0.1

But I doubt that it is so easy. WebGL isn't always that fast on my computer. Would you mind doing a test?
There's a WebGL Aquarium, quite similar to Fish Tank for IE. Follow the link, click on 'options' and make sure, that every option is turned on (highlighted in red). Set the number of fishes to 50. With your desktop set to FullHD (1920x1080) go to fullscreen mode (F11 in Firefox, don't know the keys for the other browsers)

I now have a framerate of only ~16 fps

Now turn off all the options (7 in total).

I now have a framerate of ~16 fps

Turn all the options back on and set the number of fishes to 500.

I now have a framerate of ~16 fps

And last but not least go the full distance. Set the number of fishes to 1000.

I now have a framerate of ~15 fps

This doesn't make any sense to me. If the cpu would be the limiting factor I should experience an immense drop when going from 50 to 1000 fishes. And if the gpu would be the limiting factor, it should drop the framerate when activating all options (like normalmaps or reflections).

I would love to know, if you experience a higher framerate AND if the framerates differ noticeable more than in my test?

http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/aquarium/aquarium.html

Sorry for being so cautious, but better checked twice than being as pleased as Punch although the real world framerates might not keep the promises of the draw call test.tulamide2012-10-25 00:06:48
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:51 pm

For the Aquirium, my computer stays at 60 FPS at every option, so it might not be a good test for people with okay computers? Although I have always thought that graphics card had a bigger impact than Ashley says.

i5 2400, AMD Radeon 6850, Chrome 23alspal2012-10-24 23:53:51
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:39 am

[QUOTE=alspal] Basically, Intel graphics suck. If you care about gaming you need an AMD or Nvidia graphic card.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:49 am

[QUOTE=Ashley]@Armitage1982 - according to tulamide's evidence, it's possible for HTML5 to come close to native rendering speeds. I think sometimes a slow computer is just slow... or maybe it's falling back to software rendering for some reason? Have you tried updating your drivers?[/QUOTE]

That's what I first thought and why I try several things like turning off the GPU Blacklist for software rendering thanks to about:flags inside Chrome. Or doing something similar with Firefox, but it's not working.

I also tried to run the same test over Mac OS X Lion just to see if my Bootcamp windows do something nasty, but got the same results.

I got the latest drivers and even tried without any plugins of background software but again same deal.

Great if it's just a compatibility problems that lock down near native performances, but bad if they can't or don't fix that for the next iteration of WebGL Support
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:56 am

On the other hand, When enabling WebGL and accelerated hardware in Opera, the WebGL Test return a pretty 18200 objects BUT nothing can be seen !?
The rendering area stay white.
Same things with any Scirra games, I can hear sound, things are "working" but nothing is rendered. I guess it's because of the experimental nature of Opera...
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic