Isometric Action RPG (C2 Isometric Graphics Test)

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Soldier Test
$9.99 USD
A Construct version 2 & 3 "Stand-alone" RPG game with "In-Game Module" (IGM) integration.
  • Hello,

this is my first attempt with an isometric setup in C2.

I am quite happy with what i was able to do so far.

But of course there is a lot of work ahead to make this

an actually enjoyable full game. Specially pathfinding

and enemy ai will give me a hard time

Anyway, you can try out what i have done so far, here:

http://chupup-games.itch.io/isometric-action-rpg

You can move with the mouse.

• Looks good so far. I'm not very fond of the controllers though. Wouldn't this kind of game be better as point&click or something else?

• I was initially going to agree about the controls but after a minute or so of moving around in the game I got used to the controls and didn't find them awkward at all. Nice work on the Z-sorting too, I didn't come across any bugs with it.

• I am making a very similar game. I had mine inspired by games like Baldur's Gate, so naturally I'm going with point and click. I also have an extensive HUD. Mine is probably going to be solely inside a castle though. I haven't decided yet. I've been working on it for quite a while, and it's been challenging. I haven't shown it off much yet.

I use both Modo and Zbrush. Modo has proven very helpful for this kind of game.

Anyway, yours is looking pretty good so far. Are you only going to use 4 directions? It felt a bit awkward trying to go straight in any direction since it only went in diagonals.

I finally got my camera set up in Modo so I can easily bring in isometric animated sprites with ease. That took a lot of work, but will be so nice and save me so many clicks. I don't even have to open the image in Photoshop before bringing into Construct 2 anymore.

My only concerns are memory use. This is why I'm going to keep the levels small. Since I'm aiming for a roguelike, this will make it easier to randomize as well. I believe Ashely recommend to stay under 500 (possibly 400) for max compatibility with PCs. If you're going for mobile, I figure it will be even harder.

• Thanks for your answers. This was more of a graphics test, but with development going on i will change the player control & movement for sure, i think of using mouse control, too.

DrewMelton: I am really not good with 3d modelling (i know to use blenders interface, but totally suck at making something from vertexes ), so what i use instead is:

ProMotion http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/index.php

for textures, buildings, objects, interface...

Characters, Monsters & Animals i take from Open Game Art, or if i

really don't find what i need then i prototype a model with SketchUp

and finalize it in ProMotion.

P.S. You mean 500 objects in one scene?

• Nice start.

I've just noticed something :

It seems your character moves are framerate dependant. My chrome regulary drops from 60 to 35 fps (because I play on a second monitor and chrome hates that). And when I'm at 35fps, the character slightly changes direction instead of going straight forward.

Other than that, the keyboard controls don't bother me.

• DrewMelton: I am really not good with 3d modelling (i know to use blenders interface, but totally suck at making something from vertexes ), so what i use instead is:

ProMotion http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/index.php

and

World Creator http://www.inet2inet.com/

for textures, buildings, objects, interface...

Characters, Monsters & Animals i take from Open Game Art, or if i

really don't find what i need then i prototype a model with SketchUp

and finalize it in ProMotion.

P.S. You mean 500 objects in one scene?

The 400 to 500 was referring to image memory usage. See this post:

I figured that would be a good safe bet given that these kinds of games will have lots of animations due to the different directions needed.

The actual object count won't matter except for objects that need to be z-sorted.

Anyway, I've never used either of those programs. They look cool though. I started learning 3d last summer. Modo has been very good. I've got my own custom animation rig done, and 8 cameras for quickly rendering each direction needed. I think that Modo is very good for this kind of game. There is an idie version of Modo if you ever want to look into it. I use Zbrush for making characters. Of course, there is quite a learning curve when getting involved in 3d.

• Very nice animations and tiles.

• Update (small one): You can move with mouse now, but it's still very rough and kind of slow, because i need to improve the pathfinding (maybe i try one method with precalculating the paths). Also, the player animations are currently not complete (the straight directions are missing).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It looks like you could boost the rotation speed of the pathfinding. It would prevent him from walking in place for a second if you click to go in the opposite direction.

• The Pathfinder movement is terrible for isometric....unless the object is a tank.

• The Pathfinder movement is terrible for isometric....unless the object is a tank.

Why do you say it's terrible?

I thought it was passable. With some tweaks, I had characters moving around in isometric just fine. Even Baldur's Gate II had pathfinding problems (including the enhanced edition).

My only major complaint was overlapping characters, and that seems to be a short-coming of C2 in general.

• The movement has the object turning before it moves, so the angle of motion is pretty much useless there.

Unless its a ballerina...., or a tank.

Guess what turning off angles does.

You could drop the movement altogether, but the behavior is set up in nodes, so getting the angle for each animation has to be overly complicated.

• I guess it never really bothered me. Maybe I have mine set up differently or something. I have only tested it with placeholder sprites from Golden Axe since they had a forward and back walk angle for me to test. Now that I have my main 3d model done, I can give it a more thorough test, but I can't foresee any problems. I guess I'll find out soon.

• DrewMelton: yeah, i will do this. in the moment it's really strange how he is moving ^^ Thanks!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)