Isometric rotation

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Build your map with these isometric objects and terrains
  • I was wondering if anyone knew a way to rotate a isometric background when the player moves?

I have tried to set the background to the rotate behaviour that when player moves left, background rotates clockwise, and when player moves right, background rotates counterclockwise.

But once again I dont want the background to exceed a certain angle (as in I dont want my isometric background to rotate past a certain degree).

The pseudo code would look something like this:

If player moves left, then rotate Isometric background clockwise 1 degree

if background angle = 180 degrees then lock background angle

If player moves right, then rotate Isometric background counterclockwise 1 degree

if backround angle = 180 then lock background angle

By lock I mean the background stops rotating past 180 degrees and wont go above that.

I want to use a "half-rotation" effect to kinda simulate 2.5D on a isometric game, but am having some trouble thinking this through. Is there a way to save the angle of the background to a global variable, so that I can compare the angle to the value in a variable?

I was also wondering if anyone had any concept ideas, calculations, Capx files or algorithm that they would be willing to share?

Any help would be appreciated

• I tend to use an easing effect rather than locking...so use two separate events..

Event 1

1st condition-> player presses left,

2nd condition-> if background angle =or <= 180 degrees

3rd condition-> every tick

Action-> rotate Isometric background towards required angle 1 degree

Event 2

2nd condition-> if background angle >= 180 degrees

Action-> rotate toward 180 1 degree..

and of course repeat for the right side.

It can also have an eased snap back to original position by removing the player presses key condition and setting the rotate towards angle to the original..

by using rotate rather than lock its a softer feel and uses the less than or equal to functions..but it sound like you are only rotating the screen as a fake isometric rotation..you could always make a few version of the background art at various angles to get a more realistic view

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I tend to use an easing effect rather than locking...so use two separate events..

Event 1

2nd condition-> if background angle =or <= 180 degrees

Action-> rotate Isometric background towards required angle 1 degree

Event 2

2nd condition-> if background angle >= 180 degrees

Action-> rotate toward 180 1 degree..

and of course repeat for the right side.

It can also have an eased snap back to original position by removing the player presses key condition and setting the rotate towards angle to the original..

by using rotate rather than lock its a softer feel and uses the less than or equal to functions..but it sound like you are only rotating the screen as a fake isometric rotation..you could always make a few version of the background art at various angles to get a more realistic view

Thanks alot, ill definetly try this out

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)