Isometric Stuff

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Quick update, I tried out the 'double check' method again, and it's working really well no matter where I put the player, with the exception of the little stack of three boxes and the archway, they're still really stuffing up, once I get some more time I'll sit down and try to figure out why....
(By glancing at my code, it really should just work :()
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:25 pm

I know it's impractical for actual realtime purposes, but did you happen to try triple checking?

even if it can't work in practice, it'll at least let you learn something about why it's not working
theoretically, the same way some things could be placed incorrectly in the first round due to the fact that they had outdated info on objects
something that depended on the location of one of those objects would have outdated info after the second round, when it was updated. this could obviously build up to a big problem, but at least you would know if the sorting logic is flawless, and then you'd just have to work out the order of the checking logic.

also, you saw rojo's iso thing from a long time ago right? not sure if that would be of any help
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:27 am

Yeah I tried triple checking, the exact same thing happened so I'm pretty sure it's just an issue in my code somewhere. In a previous iteration of the code, where I first used the double check, from memory, it worked without a hitch, but the code was a little bulkier then and slowed it down a lot...
I have not seen Rojo's iso stuff, I'm not entirely sure it will help me, but that's me remembering all the research I did on the net and not finding anything useful except an algorithm that converts screen XY into isoXY lol, but here's hoping :) he's a smart chap, I'll look around for it.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:38 am

...I can't help but think this Filmation method is a lot better than the method I spent so long making. I've looked around for code like that but never found it, now that I've found it, I don't quite understand most of the math jargon they're using.
And they have a really solid collision method working too!
I certainly feel like I've wasted a lot of time on this sloppy method of sorting...
If someone here know's how to translate that maths for me, I could apply it to my sorting and see if it's any better :)
What a bittersweet finding..
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:49 am

Like others have said, you should definitely make something with this. I've always really dug isometric games. They are far too rare and provide lots of possibilities for various game genres.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:12 am

I definately intend to make something with this
Be it a full game or at least a plugin
I've been incredibly tempted by Unity though and once I have time I will experiment on that too
Thanks for your encouragement :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:09 am

This is really good. I had a long play with this and didn't come across any problems, well problems that where obvious to me.

Hope you get chance to turn this into a full game.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:48 pm

Thanks Minor :) I hope I get the chance too haha
Also, you didn't see any problems cause I made the player start in a place where he doesn't cause any ;)

I would really like to know, has anyone had any performance issues running my demo? Anything below 50-60 fps?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:05 pm

Hey again everyone
I FIXED IT!
It works flawlessly now, I used a combination of my current code and the method that Rojohound gave us all ages ago. I still think his way (the filmation way) is better, in that he has less events, but for some reason I just couldn't make it work the same way, even with exactly the same conditions. In any case, the loop is just as long.
Performance is still an issue, I'm currently working on a way to make it so it only re-sorts the lot whenever something needs changing, no point running the loop if everything is just sitting still, not changing the order at all
*replaces previous melancholy with jubilation*
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:40 pm

hmm
maybe put all sortable objects in two families
lets say red and blue

on start of layout
sort stuff

then
trigger once while true