after the move
and original zindex of overlapped objects in event + and -1 after move
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:30 pm

That might work, I've already got the two families method going well
Although I'd imagine a 'red overlaps blue' would result in it still sorting when it doesn't need to, due to level objects.
But I do have a flag called 'isMoving' which I have yet to do a whole lot with, I could try checking to see if something is moving and then try the overlapping approach.
I was also able to increase performance a fair bit by changing the picking method to two for each's, (it was originally a nested for loop which would then check object ID's) I also increased it further by only sorting the objects on the screen :D
Hopefully now, with good level design, I won't have largeish levels running at 5fps...
I'll let you know how I go

EDIT: I have to stop throwing the term 'flawlessly' around ;) ......
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:12 pm

Hey all, sorry about all the constant posts from me
I managed to pull that Filmation method apart the Rojohound introduced here and applied it to my game, I still made it so it only affects things on the screen. It also fixes -most- of the problems I had with sorting, there are still glitches here and there but I don't think I can actually get it to work any better than this without severly hindering performance. Currently runs like a dream and I'm pretty happy with it, it's just a little disappointing that most if not all of my own method of sorting is out the window now. Although I guess I was essentially just doing the same thing, just not in the best way. I'll update the link.

[url:15jb5wc6]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1289341/ISOWorking.exe[/url:15jb5wc6]

If you want the .cap I can upload that too, who knows, maybe you'll be able to improve it.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:03 am

It's working fine, glitches are gone, only snapped mode scrolling isn't usable, it hurts eyes.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Yeah haha! I saw that, it's only there for debugging as I haven't put proper player movement or collisions in yet.
There are still a couple of level configurations I've found that break the Filmation method but ah well, I'll just try to avoid those.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:48 pm

yeah, if I remember correctly r0j0 indicated the situations it doesn't work with
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:00 am

His collisions were pretty much spot on! I gotta work out how he did it, it's made in a way completely different to how I would set up a .cap lol, just not used to looking at other people's work I guess.
Maybe that's why his worked lol
Well, it's not perfect, but it's about as close to perfect as it'll get :) (with the exception of Fenstalker's fancy method which can even solve that 'impossible' isometric sorting problem)
I won't be making a game with it for a little while though, currently busy with studies :(
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:15 am

Hey all, me again, I've been working on isometric collisions now that I'm effectively on holidays, I'm finding it really difficult!
I want to have it pixel perfect, if you look at/use rojohounds example, you'll notice there's a little gap between the player and whatever they collide into. I want to have the player hit the wall and be hard against it.
Now I made one way that does the job PERFECTLY* , however, for it to work, due to using a lot of rounding, any objects moving under a certain speed don't move at all :(
So basically what I'm asking is, does anyone have any ideas as to how to make an object moving at any (realistic) speed hit hard up against an isometric wall?

I'll put the best working version up for reference.
[url:3m62yb3c]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1289341/ISOengineCollisionTest.cap[/url:3m62yb3c]

The other method I tried was to have two family variables, realX and realY, and just moved the player to those two rounded. This enabled slower speeds, but completely stuffed up collisions :(
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:43 pm

Wouldn't using Z elevation and orthogonal projection be good for isometric?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:36 pm

No idea, I haven't tried either of those, if you're referring to the sorting though, that's covered already :) My beef is with the collisions *shakes fist at collisions*
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your Creations