Isometric...

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:34 am

[quote="Posessed":2z9tckll]Keep in mind that i'm not a first timer, i have a lot of experience with construct-ish programs like mmf and gamefactory.
And yeah, i'm struggling with making my little soldiers move along a grid...that seems to be the hardest part for now.[/quote:2z9tckll]

Hey, well if you have the drive to tackle it, then by all means go for it. An isometric RTS game would be hawt. I've had experience with iso games before, so if you need any tips then feel free to fire away. Personally I never bothered with a grid, I just used 8 way movement or ball movement... the animations are the key to making cool tile transitions IMO.

Good luck my friend! Hard job, but not impossible!

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:43 am

[quote="SoldjahBoy":6m7w5uix][quote="Posessed":6m7w5uix]Keep in mind that i'm not a first timer, i have a lot of experience with construct-ish programs like mmf and gamefactory.
And yeah, i'm struggling with making my little soldiers move along a grid...that seems to be the hardest part for now.[/quote:6m7w5uix]

Hey, well if you have the drive to tackle it, then by all means go for it. An isometric RTS game would be hawt. I've had experience with iso games before, so if you need any tips then feel free to fire away. Personally I never bothered with a grid, I just used 8 way movement or ball movement... the animations are the key to making cool tile transitions IMO.

Good luck my friend! Hard job, but not impossible!

~Sol[/quote:6m7w5uix]

Yeah, we'll see if i'll do it cnc 1 style for now.
B
G

Post » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:34 pm

C&C 1 was freakin wicked. One of my favourite games of all time... I can still hear the sound of the GDI defense turrets... *ptptptptpewww*
(or however you make that awesome sound) xD

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:16 pm

Allright guys, i've picked up progress on this game. I've decided to make the games' art in blender and use isometric render-shots as sprites. I really need help with coding the engine though, i want it to play like tiberium sun, with a tiled grid making up the world.
How would i go about doing this? Is it even possible in construct? Any .cap examples?
B
G

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:51 pm

If you want to try a nice 3d program check out luxology's Modo. It's like ZBrush/Mudbox (like sculpting clay) and very easy to pick up. I know of a program that will let you extend the trial, for "education purposes" too. :wink:
Best of luck and God bless.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:34 pm

[quote="Posessed":1rdydxsz]How would i go about doing this? Is it even possible in construct? Any .cap examples?[/quote:1rdydxsz]

Before Jeswen stopped posting here he told me he was going to PM you a way to do isometric because "it's so easy" and the rest of us were lying to you.

I take it he never actually did... :? (Maybe he'll PM you the answer with his new parachute account.)

I honestly have no idea how to do isometric in Construct (apart from the previously mentioned flat-world style). Maybe Arcticus can give you some pointers. He's got an orthographic engine in the works, but he has had a little trouble with the z sorting.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:13 pm

Yeah, i've got pretty much all the basic code down for my iso-ish engine, EXCEPT the one problem i'm having is proper Z sorting when using different height levels. If you're making an iso game where you cannot jump and there's only one flat play area, then the 'for each (ordered) by Y coordinate acsending - bring to front' works perfectly.
But my main problem is sorting the Z orders of objects that are higher than others, if i could find i way to sort by TWO (or more) criteria so for example:
For each terrain (ordered) by Terrain.Y THEN Terrian.Value('Height') - bring to front

if that was possible i'm pretty sure ALL my laying problems would be solved in one event!

Once that problem is solved, i'll be able to start working on concept and art and actually turning it into a game (Although I'm still having problems making physics objects move faster at the same ratio that timescaling slows down, but that's another topic ;))

So yeah, I could give you some pointers, but i'm no expert either lol, you're probably up to about the same spot that i am
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:13 am

I actually made what essentially amounts to a simple isometric platform engine and posted it here. The thread is right here. It's not actually an isometric viewpoint, but it could be modified fairly easily into an isometric view. Hope this helps. :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:34 am

Yeah I looked at that to see how you did it a while ago, but i ended up using my own method (albeit quite similar)
I kinda want to make the Z ordering using families, that way i don't have a huge list of events just dealing with overlapping. Although what you made there still is quite good :)
The only drawback with using families is events such as, if Blue is overlapping Blue, i find, using any other picking events and/or action after that tend not to work so well :(
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:46 am

[quote="Arcticus":xihlozn3]Yeah I looked at that to see how you did it a while ago, but i ended up using my own method (albeit quite similar)
I kinda want to make the Z ordering using families, that way i don't have a huge list of events just dealing with overlapping. Although what you made there still is quite good :)
The only drawback with using families is events such as, if Blue is overlapping Blue, i find, using any other picking events and/or action after that tend not to work so well :([/quote:xihlozn3]

Yeah, Z ordering was the only thing I couldn't get done well. I'm still waiting for assigning the Z order as a number so objects with a higher Y value could be above things with a lower Y value.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion