Isometric...

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:46 am

[quote="Arcticus":xihlozn3]Yeah I looked at that to see how you did it a while ago, but i ended up using my own method (albeit quite similar)
I kinda want to make the Z ordering using families, that way i don't have a huge list of events just dealing with overlapping. Although what you made there still is quite good :)
The only drawback with using families is events such as, if Blue is overlapping Blue, i find, using any other picking events and/or action after that tend not to work so well :([/quote:xihlozn3]

Yeah, Z ordering was the only thing I couldn't get done well. I'm still waiting for assigning the Z order as a number so objects with a higher Y value could be above things with a lower Y value.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:36 am

[quote="deadeye":zsq89p3k]
Before Jeswen stopped posting here he told me he was going to PM you a way to do isometric because "it's so easy" and the rest of us were lying to you.

I take it he never actually did... :? (Maybe he'll PM you the answer with his new parachute account.) [/quote:zsq89p3k]

I don't have a parachute account ... and actually forgot to send the cap. I may still do so if I can find it.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:24 am

[quote="Jeswen":13rn5kss]
It's not so difficult
[/quote:13rn5kss]
You got iso down? Can you show me? Also how do you fix the layering problem?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:07 pm

I think this is very do-able. Just a lil' bit of planning and you'll be away.

PS. Soulja is a playa.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:21 pm

I'd love to get this done guys, i love how supportive you guys are being.
I've been thinking about doing this game for quite a while, i just wonder if it'd be faster to just mod tiberium sun, it probably would, but that way the engine wouldn't be as flexible and familiar as opposed to doing the whole thing myself.

Keep posting guys, i need your support on this.
B
G

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:06 am

Yeah i need help on this too, if someone knows how to get isometric Z layering working properly when using height as well, i will LOVE you (platonically)
I seriously think that making the 'for each ordered' able to sort throught multiple criteria is the answer but prove me wrong, i'm no expert :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:35 pm

How would i make my soliders line up in formations rather than all going to the same place?
It looks stunted, and is really impractical when splash damage is implemented.
B
G

Post » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:24 pm

theres probably a hundred ways of doing that. Its probably better if you figure it out yourself (you have better understanding of your own theories)...

I'd probably do something like assign each soldier in a group a unique ID (1,2,3,4,...), based on their ID, i would offset their position they are trying to move to to something like (Xmouse (where you clicked) + ID*10) that way they all want to move within 10 pixels of each other (do the same with the Y values).

I'm sure theres better ways... Any ideas?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:15 pm

And I'm still stuck on the Z sorting thing :(
I've found a way that SHOULD work in theory, but it's still not 100% :(
Granted it could be something wrong with my code
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:36 am

give each object a z value based on how "high" it is. higher the object the bigger the z value.

bring all objects the to the front sorted by y value on lowest z values first and run through each z value.

no wait thats slightly wrong...ive done this before. grrr.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion