Isometric...

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:22 am

Here's my Iso-ish engine as it stands.

[url:1b90yjwk]http://www.mediafire.com/?m2wnzmogmjx[/url:1b90yjwk]

A few of the Z ordering problems are just number related i think, like the sprites have to be a certain height or something. Anyway it looks ALMOST done, but it actually isn't. There's still a few subtle Z order problems.
The reason I'm putting it here is, in the game, try jumping around on the boxes in the lower right portion of the level. You will find that you can manage to jump inside the big box, also due to the same problem, you cannot climb up on the bottom stack of boxes (you can however jump across)

The problem, i believe, stems from something odd with the picking. I'm using 'is overlapping' to pick the objects the game knows are 'beneath' the player. I -think- it has something to do with the UID/order that I put the collision objects into layout. It's not working as intented, i basically want this:

If the player is higher than the obstacle, move the height offset variable to the height of the obstacle, therefor making the player able to stand on top of it when he lands.

But in some cases, if the controller object collides with an object lower than that on an obstacle that the player is already standing on, the player falls to the height of the collided obstacle, rather than just staying above it like he should. It also goes the other way too, sometimes, when standing on a small obstacle, when jumping onto a taller obstacle, the height offset isn't updated until the controller object isn't overlapping the smaller obstacle at all.

I can't really explain, just play it and see

Does anyone know a better way of picking the objects rather than 'is overlapping?' Or is there a bug in 'is overlapping?' that needs fixing?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:26 am

Sorry to bump this up but I don't want it to be forgottens :(
Anyone know a better way to pick the object with the highest height variable that is lower than the player's height? Whilst he's overlapping it that is
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:25 pm

I think, the hardest part of a isometric game is the vertical distortion and how deal this. Suggestions?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:40 pm

Try changing the zoom levels for ZoomX and ZoomY for your sprites layer...

ZoomX: 150
ZoomY: 60

something like that. Just play with the numbers.

I tried something freaky yesterday:

Roatate the canvas 45 degrees, with my zoom suggestion.
The new grid movement becomes an isometric grid movement :D

just rotate your sprite 45 degrees counter-clockwise, and scale in the event sheet to compansate for vertical distortion.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:55 pm

the example you posted is looking good! Very good work :) keep us updated.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:41 am

Yes, I have tried it before. It is simple solution for control, collision and shadow casting. But The "problem" is attaching the sprites to this objects without rescaling those too. Even if you get this done, I think it is quite tedious to edit a scene in construct, because you dont see the scaling effect until preview. Even the mouse proiection is changed.
Another quick alternative is to use the "military" projection. We can view this in games like Ultima Online and Nox. The base is a top view. More info here: [url:1z4rny0v]http://www.compuphase.com/axometr.htm[/url:1z4rny0v].
But I would like to know a modular solution for doing any kind of parallel projection :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:42 am

[quote="Aritz":2ta6o5ym] Even the mouse proiection is changed.
[/quote:2ta6o5ym]
This can be solved by using an object with mouse behavior.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct Classic Discussion