ISSUE: Browser ZOOM & Windows High DPI Zoom settings

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:16 am

Are you reloading Chrome/the game after changing the zoom/DPI level? It won't handle it correctly during runtime, only startup.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:26 am

@ashley

Makes no difference

there are 2 things.

1: Chrome on windows retains the user set zoom setting of the specific site on reboot browser or reload game.

2: Chrome global (all sites) zoom setting changes descreetly based on the windows scale setting and does not show this in chrome zoom setting.

I.e as shown previously if your Windows scale is 200% your chrome zoom setting will show 100 but actually be 200 so you need to set the browser to 50% zoom to actually get 100% zoom and no scaling for game
NOTE: There is a high a probability that I am wrong.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:02 am

@NetOne

Tested this again on my surface pro and didn't get any such results. Game looks exactly the same and as expected on different settings as long as the game is reloaded after changing the settings.

Pic 1. 100% scaling in windows. 300% scaling in chrome.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5q4xgg7elbc50 ... e.JPG?dl=0

Pic 2. 200% scaling in windows 100% scaling in chrome.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/weyfbnkoi8jnl ... 2.JPG?dl=0

No matter what settings i try, game looks exactly the same after reload.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:01 am

@tunepunk yes indeed it does !? thanks for taking the time.....

i took the liberty of trying myself (awesome touch control btw 👍 i so want to go on a big adventure with that guy😍)

i see that with your game that chrome still does remember the zoom setting but the relaunched game just ignores it

i then tried a few of the c3 demos also and get the same result. hmmmmm

so wtf is going on with my game [email protected]##$#@@?

why is my game taking notice the zoom setting , even after relaunch, when other games arnt ??

some setting ?

i do change window height after launch could that be it???

these are questions to self btw. i will test to see....
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:36 am

NetOne wrote:

Could probably be something like that. At least now you got a bit closer to the answer maybe.

Hope you find what's causing it :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:58 am

tunepunk wrote:
NetOne wrote:

Could probably be something like that. At least now you got a bit closer to the answer maybe.

Hope you find what's causing it :)

Cheers man,

after rifling through old backups and deleting all the events in my game ....found it!

it was the god damn "Use high-DPI display" ! I had it set to No-

of course stupidly I thought that this setting meant my game would always render at 1080p pixels and upscale as ness for high dpi (good for performance maybe)
and this is what the description implies
but actually what this does is sort of the opposite.

so high dpi set to no and say zoomed to 200%

the browser renders the window at the zoomed in game window setting
so you now have quarter of the pixel density you intended
then the browser downscales your game to fit the new low resolution window,
then on top of that it renders your game linear interpolating between he reduced pixel count to make it look all muddy

its a totally useless setting as far as I can see and is very confusingly described

high dpi = on , basically means - "ignore browser zoom setting" and should always be left on as far as I can see.

in light of wasting time on this I am going to start a thread on config settings for the layman
https://www.scirra.com/forum/project-configuration-settings-for-the-layman_t197464

@ashley these config settings are really badly named and defined
Last edited by NetOne on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:18 pm

@NetOne

Congrats to finally figuring out what it was. I noticed this setting is not even available in C3, which I'm mostly using nowadays.

From the manual
Use high-DPI display
Some devices have a much higher resolution display, with more dots per inch (DPI) than other devices. Setting this property to Yes will use the full resolution of the device for maximum display quality, although this can sometimes reduce performance. Setting to No will treat the display like a traditional low-resolution display, which reduces detail but can improve performance.

Don't know why it had any effect on the system scale setting and the browser zoom setting though. I always thought this setting was for if you make low rez games like 320x240 point sampling, but never imagined system and browser scaling would have any effect on it if set to no.

Good find. I don't know if that's still a bug though. If it should behave like that?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:00 pm

tunepunk wrote:@NetOne

Congrats to finally figuring out what it was. I noticed this setting is not even available in C3, which I'm mostly using nowadays.

From the manual
Use high-DPI display
Some devices have a much higher resolution display, with more dots per inch (DPI) than other devices. Setting this property to Yes will use the full resolution of the device for maximum display quality, although this can sometimes reduce performance. Setting to No will treat the display like a traditional low-resolution display, which reduces detail but can improve performance.

Don't know why it had any effect on the system scale setting and the browser zoom setting though. I always thought this setting was for if you make low rez games like 320x240 point sampling, but never imagined system and browser scaling would have any effect on it if set to no.

Good find. I don't know if that's still a bug though. If it should behave like that?

Well that description is not right,
that is what it probably should do but that is not what it does,
or as you say maybe a bug. (ill leave it to some other poor sod to file though)
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General