Issues with Light radius

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Fri May 06, 2016 10:15 pm

Hie everyone,
I can't understand why the light radius effect in order to create penumbra really doesn't work..
Anything?

thanks a lot...
B
S

Post » Fri May 05, 2017 11:12 pm

I'm having a bit of an issue with this, too. Upon the original unveiling of the light/shadow caster feature (which I loved!), I seem to recall being able to create penumbras as well. I've reviewed both manual entries for the light object and the shadow caster behavior, but I can't get penumbras to appear (it might be the limitations of my computer...which is why I can't load the new Construct 3...

A test site reveals that I can run WebGL 1, but WebGL 2 is possible to run on my computer but is either disabled or my processor (I don't have a dedicated graphics card on this laptop) isn't able to run it.

Simply looking for more info that might help solve this issue. Anything I'm overlooking?
I'm seeking Narnia. Who wants to come with me! Aslan is on the move!
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 05, 2017 11:48 pm

Outside of what is stated in the manual, can't help without seeing an example of what you've done. It works fine for me.

Penumbra rendering only works in WebGL mode - in canvas2d mode it will revert to a radius of 0 with hard-edged shadows.

The shadow casters can only use convex collision polygons. Shadows will not render correctly if they use concave polygons. If you need a concave shape, this can always be achieved by placing multiple shadow caster objects next to each other to compose a concave shape out of convex parts.

Antumbras (beyond where the umbra converges to a point) are not rendered. To avoid the umbra converging to a point on-screen, avoid using shadow casters smaller than the light radius. Stick to large shadow casters and a small light radius.

When using a light radius, avoid placing the light very close to or directly over a shadow caster. Shadows can fail to render correctly in these circumstances.

Maybe you need a bigger light radius?
Mistakes were made.
B
S
G

Return to How do I....?