it begins... (true AI finally coming soon)

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:20 pm

AI, or artificial intelligence has come to mean something not like intelligent, but pretending to be intelligent, like npc's in games, the cpu players, and various other nonintelligent things
artificial...it's intelligence, it's not real intelligence

there is a new term, if you're into this kinda thing
SI, or synthetic intelligence
this is true intelligence, just made from nonnatural objects
this doesn't exist yet. there's some really cool stuff out there and it's getting closer
these two show we're ultra close, and honestly, I'm gonna nerd out for a second, but when it comes, it will change the world forever, in a matter of weeks
something truly intelligent, like we are, not pretending to be, could just download knowledge without taking any time to learn, and remember without having to try, perform math at computer speeds (remember CPUs and GPUs are measured in TFlops nowadays I believe, that stands for trillions of floating point operations (decimal math problems) per second...that's f'in ridiculous), never fail to see a connection, never have something distract them, or forget to think of something. it will seriously invent anything we can think of, that's possible, in minutes, once it gets here....if anyone really cares, I've researched this alot, and we can talk further, but the way intelligence and brain cells work, if you understand it, once you make something that is truly as intelligent as a rat, it really would be no more effort than it takes you to tell construct to paste an array of 10,000,000 sprites (assuming a pc or construct wouldn't crash), to make something 10,000,000 times as intelligent as a rat. it would change the world overnight

anyway, here's evidence we're not that far
first, this is amazing:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7979113.stm

second, this is also amazing, watch the whole video if you bother to watch the beginning, it only get's impressive later on, when it almost falls for various reasons, you can tell what it's doing is very much like what living things do:

http://www.bostondynamics.com/content/s ... ion=BigDog

your thoughts
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:55 pm

Woohoo.. Terminator will be alive!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:57 pm

This is still just an artficial intelligence. You should get yourself interested in Neural Networks to find out that these tasks Adam's capable of, aren't really that innovative. Of course, costs of making such instrument are large, but that's because of big memories (well... maybe not so big, probably 0.000001% of brains memory capacity ^^) needed to handle simple tasks.

Neural Network means a lot of math and it kinda looks like our neural system, but it's simplified. To very accurately simulate single real neuron's work, you'd have to evaluate thousands of differentional equations. Simulation on rat's brain is possible for supercomputers just for few seconds. We're nowhere near to making any real intelligence.

If people were given such motoric abilities BigDog possesses, they'd also forget about falling on slippery places. But again, this stuff is "quite easy" (meaning there are at last 100 teams on Earth capable of creating it) to make an ideal model, but quite hard to get sponsors for it ^^.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:15 pm

[quote="BROO":18es4qs1]This is still just an artficial intelligence.[/quote:18es4qs1]
yeah
[quote="lucid":18es4qs1]SI, or synthetic intelligence
this is true intelligence, just made from nonnatural objects
this doesn't exist yet. there's some really cool stuff out there and it's getting closer[/quote:18es4qs1]
but big dog is by far the most advanced walker I've seen,
I think no one's hit the nail on the head
but people are thinking in the right direction
instead of making a robot programmed to deal with a variety of situations
they make a robot that tries to find it's own solutions
both of these cases are steps in the right direction
but in all honesty
I don't think we're slowly going to get there
I think someones going to stumble upon exactly what makes intelligence work
and then we'll be there

I know about neural networks. not matter how large a traditional neural network is, it'll never do what we do, they're missing a crucial element
I don't know what it is yet, or I'd have created an SI, but if you study enough it's clear neural networks aren't thinking (I know you weren't saying they were)

[quote="BROO":18es4qs1]Simulation on rat's brain is possible for supercomputers just for few seconds. [/quote:18es4qs1]
what? if you mean they can simulate a rat's brain, I disagree, there actually is a project with supercomputers to simulate a single neuron, they're not even close to being able to simulate a rat's brain. especially since they don't know which processes matter

[quote="BROO":18es4qs1]If people were given such motoric abilities BigDog possesses, they'd also forget about falling on slippery places. But again, this stuff is "quite easy" (meaning there are at last 100 teams on Earth capable of creating it) to make an ideal model, but quite hard to get sponsors for it[/quote:18es4qs1]
100 teams out of the population of the planet is far from easy

but...yeah, I love this stuff
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:26 pm

I know people having enough theorethical knowledge to do BigDog.

BigDog is advanced walker, but don't bring any revolution to movement. It's a matter of time there's BigGepard invented hunting down "bad guys" and stuff.

Adam did the work he was supposed to do. The only thing that could be considered innovative is that he probably had to guess by himself what kind of mathematical model (NN model) to use to solve problem. But from reading that short article I'm not sure if Adam is even able to think about using techniques to solve problem.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:35 pm

I still think human intelligent computers are waaaaaay off. Current processors barely dent the parallel computation power of the human brain, and even if you could match that, you need to understand how the neurons are connected, and then feed in the years of realistic experience that allow a person to mature in to an intelligent adult.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:24 am

actually ash
the thing is the brain uses electro-chemical impulses to transfer information
I don't remember the exact figures, but it's at least several orders of magnitude slower than the electrical impulses in a microchip
also the scale of a neuron is much larger than that of a microswitch, and the distance information has to travel before being processed again is another factor
now I'm not saying SI will definitely emerge through software running on standard microprocessors, but the problem isn't speed, not even by a long shot
it takes the brain about 6 to 8 steps to recognize a human face with near perfect accuracy
an "AI" program that does the same with embarrassing inaccuracy takes hundreds of thousands of steps to do it badly
there's something fundamentally different about what each is doing
I think solving that problem is the obstacle. no matter how fast computers get, they won't think, unless we solve the puzzle
but I think modern tech, is more than fast enough, if we could only find the damn algorithm
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:38 am

We still don't know why the brain is so good.

And I love the Big Dog. I want one. With a silencer.

Then I'll ride it into the sunset, hat spinning in hand. Yeehaw!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:29 am

[quote="lucid":3799sfjd]
it takes the brain about 6 to 8 steps to recognize a human face with near perfect accuracy
an "AI" program that does the same with embarrassing inaccuracy takes hundreds of thousands of steps to do it badly
there's something fundamentally different about what each is doing
I think solving that problem is the obstacle. no matter how fast computers get, they won't think, unless we solve the puzzle[/quote:3799sfjd]

Perhaps the 6 to 8 steps you mention are just call-functions for "libraries", which have their own steps.
As you maybe mean: more research is needed to understand how the brain fully works.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:43 pm

No, current tech isn't anywhere near fast enough. A neuron may be bigger and slower than a microchip, but there are millions of them communicating with each other all the time, simultaneously. For a chip which can only do one thing at a time, that's a tall order. Unless you have as many chips as there are neurons in the human brain, which is around 10 - 100 billion. Got that many cores on your Athlon?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Next

Return to Open Topic