Iterative save... Please?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm disappointed Ashley.

Clicking Save or Save Iteration requires no further action on the users part.
Save As requires you to decide what you want to call the file before clicking on another button.

I thought that would have been obvious. lol :wink: :lol:

Krush.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:09 am

The time it took you to write this post is the time you could have used "save as" hundreds of times. It's only 2 seconds more work. In programs which have an iterative save, I still use save as. :D
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:04 am

Hundreds? I'm not THAT slow at typing :lol:

But the idea is about it being quick enough not to pause the "creative process" - right now I have to go to the menu, pick Save As, check if the folder is the same (seems to change sometimes), scroll down to see what the current filename was (since it's not shown anywhere when working) and then type up a new name.

When I could just click one button. And so could you :) But different strokes for different folks, I understand.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:51 am

[quote="Somebody":37s4zwmn]Hundreds? I'm not THAT slow at typing :lol:

But the idea is about it being quick enough not to pause the "creative process" - right now I have to go to the menu, pick Save As, check if the folder is the same (seems to change sometimes), scroll down to see what the current filename was (since it's now shown anywhere when working) and then type up a new name.

When I could just click one button. And so could you :) But different strokes for different folks, I understand.[/quote:37s4zwmn]

Well if the few seconds it takes to type a name to save it as, pauses your "creative process", you've got a problem.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:10 am

[quote="Lost my Keys":365ttaoh]Well if the few seconds it takes to type a name to save it as, pauses your "creative process", you've got a problem.[/quote:365ttaoh]

Please don't. It's just a feature request, nothing to get worked up over.

And anyway, he does have a valid point, it would be a handy feature. Maybe not totally necessary, but then again neither are shortcut keys when you think about it. But they do help with work flow.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:14 am

Besides I wasn't entirely serious about "creative process", hence the quote marks.

deadeye is right on - it's just a quick function, it doesn't take anything away from those who don't use it and is great for those who do.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:09 pm

FL Studio has a save new version keyboard shortcut and menu item.
it's a ridiculous workflow enhancement, and feels more like a permanent undo point than a save. I save new versions much more often than I take the time to click in the menu and save as and type a new name. it results in a much more fluid creative process. I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to streamline the process for such a common function.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:15 pm

[quote="deadeye":17w51ub2]Maybe not totally necessary, but then again neither are shortcut keys when you think about it. But they do help with work flow.[/quote:17w51ub2]
Yay!
At least Deadeye and Lucid see the point of the request.

It's amazing how many people seem to argue against having it, even though it wouldn't affect them at all.
The keyboard shortcuts are a perfect example.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Krush.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:58 pm

[quote="KrushBrother":5m5wur1o]At least Deadeye and Lucid see the point of the request.[/quote:5m5wur1o]
And you :) Already makes four people in favor of such an idea.

Let's make things easier by giving an implementation example (this is how I did it in a macro for a graphics program):

Next to the usual save icon there's a +1 icon - pretty clear right away what it does.

Under the hood it just checks the filename for an iteration number like _XXX (if not it just starts at 1) to see if there's a free one after it (maybe you went back to a previous iteration so, say, if you went back to _005 from _008 you'd make _009 instead of overwriting _006) and just saves the file as filename_XXX. So when you first save like this it makes _001, next time _002, etc.

Pretty simple (no need for cycling - leave the space concerns to the user), pretty handy. Convinced yet? :wink:
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:11 pm

OK, so why not enable autobackup with 999 backups or something? Or I suppose you'd prefer the kind of workflow where you edit your application saving normally, and at the end before closing save a new version?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion