Its possible to steal game?

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
five golem elements Sprites Sheet.Best for enemy or villain game characters.
  • Im wondering its possible, if i have game on dropbox and publish link html. Did someone somehow can steal all files of game??

• Yes, html can be stolen easily. That is why you want to put something like this into html games. So if stolen, it disables game. Tells gamer it is stolen, or points back to your website.

Yes they can probably get rid of it, but you can encrypted that section, so it will make life hard for thief.

Or just do this.

Recommend...You can get lawyer to write a takedown notice, etc etc etc

• DUTOIT I actually like the idea of an illegal version full of ads and all that, as not only you make profit from the stealer, but you also make themir version slightly worse than yours (I would recommand having also a link like "play without ads on the official website Here" thingy, as most of those websites will I think just steal a lot with only a little testing).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • DUTOIT I actually like the idea of an illegal version full of ads and all that, as not only you make profit from the stealer, but you also make themir version slightly worse than yours (I would recommand having also a link like "play without ads on the official website Here" thingy, as most of those websites will I think just steal a lot with only a little testing).

Oh, you refering to the comments I made in the tutorial...

They are going to steal, so you might as well get something out of it - lol.

Good idea - "play without ads on offical website" and link to website.

• Hmm, I'm interested with shinkan method of hiding the url, it came to me that why not use MP plugin to deliver the url string? This can be single flow process like below:

1)Peer: connect to host

2)Peer: on joined room, send message <browser.URL>

3)Host: on peer message, compare message with whitelist array, if true, send some screwed message.

4)Peer: on message, load the message into array, then compare with browser.URL

5) If equal, disconnect from signal, then start game.

Step 3&4 is redundant check. I think it would be hard for the thief to fabricate "send message", there's probably loophole here, but for me it's an interesting idea. The drawback would be having an always online host to enable the checking. What do you guys think?

I like the "flood with ads" idea!

• Hmm, I'm interested with shinkan method of hiding the url, it came to me that why not use MP plugin to deliver the url string? This can be single flow process like below:

1)Peer: connect to host

2)Peer: on joined room, send message <browser.URL>

3)Host: on peer message, compare message with whitelist array, if true, send some screwed message.

4)Peer: on message, load the message into array, then compare with browser.URL

5) If equal, disconnect from signal, then start game.

Step 3&4 is redundant check. I think it would be hard for the thief to fabricate "send message", there's probably loophole here, but for me it's an interesting idea. The drawback would be having an always online host to enable the checking. What do you guys think?

I like the "flood with ads" idea!

Three reasons:

1/if the user is offline (yep, C2 games work offline too in the browser), the check is impossible, and prevent them from playing it feels plain like a cheap shot.

2/host is mandatory, as well as finding a room, which would involves using the scirra signaling server, sure, it is never a big problem, but feels really bad to involve another middleground, also that means having an host connected at all time, which is also another risk.

3/No webRTC support on some browsers, no MP plugin, no nothing

If you want to go as far as that, just use an ajax request to a file at the root of your domain, that would stop I think most of them, but again, still the point 1 applies here.

• you could just the script in your page called no right click, but then if it was a real time strategy game in your browser this may make the game malfunction...

• you could just the script in your page called no right click, but then if it was a real time strategy game in your browser this may make the game malfunction...

• IMO copyright law is probably the most effective way to prevent your media being stolen. In most countries your work automatically copyrighted and nobody else is allowed to use it without your permission by default. Technical measures can ward off non-developers, but anyone who knows what they are doing will probably be able to circumvent the various tricks you can use to check the domain etc.

Also make sure you tick 'minify script' on export - that does some pretty sophisticated obfuscation of the code with Google Closure Compiler, and will make it far more difficult to reverse engineer. To date I'm not aware of any cases of minified projects being reverse engineered. That makes it a lot less useful to try to rip off games - you either have to basically copy the thing wholesale, which is obvious, or take some of the assets and you're back to square one designing the game logic, which is often enough work that you may as well make your own assets while you're at it too.

• yes I'm at a game jam right now working with 2 java guys that don't use C2, I'm doing level design and exporting the project out, they are reading the export. One time I checked minify script and they were like..umm we can't read or parse this out at all! oops.. haha

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)